Anyone have experience with Z 20/ 21 and Verado Pro 250?

I am looking at a nitro Z 20 with a 250 pro four stroke on it. Anyone have one with power poles or talons hangin' off the back? Does the front sit higher? Jackplate issues? Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Call and talk to Blake at Pro's Choice....he's running a Z21 with the 250 Vrod. He says no more two strokes for him after having this set up.

I wonder why they are going so strong toward the 4-strokes....? Nothing wrong with that, just curious as to why they are rigging everything they get in with the verados...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Couple guys have 1. 4 strokes will do better in the summer then a 2 stroke.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Thanks all. Hopefully I'll pull the trigger on it!

6. Member
    Plus they don't need injection oil. The $4K more price tag is a stinger on the 250 Vrod vs Pro-XS that would push me back to a two stroke. Plus I like the sound!!! lol

7. Member
    The pro xs at this point is ancient and just a matter of time before it's gone.
    Nitro z21

8. Member
    The Opti isn't going anywhere until Mercury has a four stroke at equivalent weight, performance, and cost. The Verado is an excellent engine, but as far as we are concerned too heavy for a bass boat. The performance difference in hot weather is negligible. Certainly zero reason to choose it over a ProXS. We know, our summer heat and humidity and high water temps don't slow us down. Fuel use is higher for the Verado than the Opti, esp. at WOT. From the factory, you are limited to a 6 inch hydraulic plate for Verados instead of a 12 for the Opti. A dealer may add the 12 to a Verado, but that is an additional dealer cost and may get into warranty issues. It's also interesting the ProXS has a better emission rating than a Verado. Don't misunderstand me about Verados, they are bullet proof and powerful. On a larger boat, no question, bass boat, no.

well Verado have 3 inches of setback built in, so your not really loosing anything there.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    I've got a Z20 with a Verado pro 250, 2 8' blades, 2 HDS 12's and twin council. I love my Vrod. My last boat was a Z-8 with 250 xs. It was a great boat and fast. My Vrod/ Z20 is not quite as fast as the Z-8. I rode in a Z21 with a Vrod before purchasing my boat and within about 5 miles I was sold on it. The Vrod is SOOO quite and smooth, torquey, that I had to have one. I have not been disappointed yet. Mine will run around 71-73 with 2 guys tournament load. It is 60# heavier than the XS. Mine came with an 8" manual jack. Vrods have 4" built in backset (not 3) which gets you to 12" total. The hole shot with it is amazing. I liked my XS but I like this one better. It does use more fuel the XS if you run it at WOT. But not that much. The power steering is nice also. I would advise you take a ride in one first though. They also cost more than the XS. I paid $4000.00 more for mine and I also got the 7 year full warrantee. Everyone that has rode in mine has loved it. Hope it helped...

I am hearing a lot of good things about the Verados... But nothing that would push me away from an XS... These 2-strokes have gotten so much better in the last 10 years it is amazing.. Clean, powerful, quiet... Honestly, the XS is the loudest of all of them :-).....
    Nothing wrong with the 4-Strokes... But just don't see anything that makes them a slam dunk...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankn View Post
    I am looking at a nitro Z 20 with a 250 pro four stroke on it. Anyone have one with power poles or talons hangin' off the back? Does the front sit higher? Jackplate issues? Any insight would be appreciated.
    I have a 2016 Z20 with a 250 verado power poles and a 36 volt trolling motor. My front end is very light. It tends to porpoise at speeds under 40 mph if I trim it at all. I have raised and lowered the motor which has helped a bit but if I had (do overs) it would be an hydraulic jack plate.

13. Member
    rlkingsbury - what prop are you running? I am buying the same setup and have heard a 25P might have a bad holeshot.

14. Member
    I called Blake at Pro's Choice and asked him for advice. He stated that a 24 Pitch Fury would be ideal according to the factory chart.
    Last edited by Oregonbass12; 04-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.

15. Member
    I'm running a 25 Fury but am going to get a 24. The 25 has good hole shot and good speed by myself, but throw in that 2nd guy and gear and I can't get to optimum rpm. I think a 24 would be great for 2 guys. 26 Trophy runs pretty decent also but not as fast. Would like to try Bravo 1 FS 25 or 26.