1198c Compatible with the new ipilot link?

I am ready to buy a Minn kota Terrova with the new bluetooth ipilot link but I am unsure if it is compatible with my 1198c. I am happy with the 1198c and don't want to lay out the money for a new graph and troller. The Humminbird site says its compatible but the 1198c has not had an update since 2015. The 1199 had an update recently to work with the new ipilot link which makes me think I'm out of luck.

Anyone know for sure?

2. Member
    The connection to the 1198 is still Ethernet. The remote works with the trolling motor ipilot controller. Call HB before you buy to be positive. Bob

3. Member
    Not sure if it would be different but there is some compatibility between Ultrex and 998/1198.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

ezfishn,

What do you mean by "some" compatibility? I see in your sig that you have an Ultrex link and an 1198. Can you control the Ultrex with the 1198? I am pretty sure if the Ultrex works the Terrova would work as well. I will call humminbird when I get a chance but I would feel better hearing from somebody with it set up and working. I have time to figure this all out. I probably won't get the boat out again till April or late March depending on the weather. Also with something this new I am keeping my ears open to problems but so far I haven't heard any complaints.

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    There has been NO software updated released for xx8 units so the newer KM motors communicate, only the xx9 core units - and only HB knows if they will release new software.

I am betting they may not due to the age difference, but you never know.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    The only updates pertaining to ipilot link are the vegetation and hardness features. Although I am unsure if the jog and circle features have any relation to the 1198. My guess would be it is similar in function as the older "link" in that if it initiates commands from the remote it will use the TM gps for function. Again if you are ready to buy you need to call HB or MK to be sure
    Been reading: Circle mode can only be initiated from the Humminbird unit! It may not be the only fly in the update ointment but it is all I have discovered so far. Also I am assuming the old ipilot link functions still work with the like functions on the new link but only they or someone with that exact setup and can test it.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 01-17-2017 at 12:43 PM.

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Bobcoy, do you have a 2017 Link?

How would the controller recognize a HB CHO is attempting to communicate with it?

AFAIK the whole reason HB wrote v7.79 for xx9 Core units was to add the new motors to it's code base so it would recognize the device.

I don't know if any functions would be backward compatable since the hardware has changed so much.

If anything, Wes should get his boat wet and get testing.....

999_v779.JPG
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

9. Member
    I have the 2017 Ultera and a 1199 & 1198 set up and ready to test this weekend. First time using Link so I am a little overwhelmed with information and functions. Hopefully I can give you some info after a few hours on the water.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RayLance View Post
    ezfishn,

What do you mean by "some" compatibility? I see in your sig that you have an Ultrex link and an 1198. Can you control the Ultrex with the 1198? I am pretty sure if the Ultrex works the Terrova would work as well. I will call humminbird when I get a chance but I would feel better hearing from somebody with it set up and working. I have time to figure this all out. I probably won't get the boat out again till April or late March depending on the weather. Also with something this new I am keeping my ears open to problems but so far I haven't heard any complaints.

I only had it on the water a few hours and didn't get a chance to test fully from either the 998/1198. The 998/1198 did recognize the Ultrex on the network and waypoints were visible from the units both ways. I had an issue when I created an Itrack using the remote; it stored the itrack or was visible in the NAV data on the Helix and 998/1198. When I exported all NAV data to the SD card, the itracks either didn't get written to the SD card or would not import into Humminbird PC. They were visible on the unit and I got no errors on export to the card or during import to HBPC. I haven't tried any operations from either the 998 or 1198 but did try basic control from the Helix and had no problems. I did see reference to a Ulterra TM on both the remote and FFs and don't know if that was a glitch in the software or compatibility issue until I attempt some more of the navigations features. I'm new to electric TMs and Link so not sure of any major differences between the current link and older models. I would guess the circle and jogging might be new so that may not be compatible with the 998/1198.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do some more testing as soon as this soup lets up...LOL I'll post results as soon as I can.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    CHOP! CHOP ! Wes!!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

12. Member
    Not sure what an HB CHO is but Ethernet is part of the communications. Only the newest functions would be missing from the xx8 units. The Minn Kota site says the xx8 series units are compatible thus my cautioned conclusions. If I owned one I would not said to check with HB before buying.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Humminbird Control Head Only.

I guess in time we'll see - if Wes would buy some rain gear and quit with the girl scout cookies...

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    Humminbird Control Head Only.

I guess in time we'll see - if Wes would buy some rain gear and quit with the girl scout cookies...

I can't complain about solid water so might as well gripe about all the liquid sunshine...LOL
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818