Thread: FNS Handguns

FNS Handguns

Where would the FNS series of handguns fall in relation to other brands? I tried searching but it is difficult to find much info on them since you have to have so many letters in your search. I'm looking to get an EDC and the FNS compact models have caught my eye. I'm not a huge handgun guy, yet, so I'll need something fairly user friendly until I get more experience. I moved out to the country and plan on making a shooting range in my backyard this spring. I reload for my rifles and want to reload for whatever I get for when I am just putting holes in things.

My cousin has 3-4 Glocks that we shoot every so often, i can't remember the models but they are subcompact 9, .40, and I think .380. He is going to come with me to go look at guns some time in the upcoming weeks but I also call him Glockhead because if it isn't a Glock, he really isn't interested in it. I want to get my hands on as many as possible but also am curious if there would be better brands/models to look at or avoid. I've always leaned towards buying something a little better from the get go and learning with it rather than buying something cheap to get started and upgrading from there.

Thanks

I'm like your cousin. If I could only own 1 gun it too would be a Glock and I have several different manufactures guns. But I carry a Glock

3. Member
    FNH has been making quality handguns since John Browning moved to Belgium in the late 1920's

That said, you don't here much about them because they truly don't market themselves. You would literally have to go fire one to know what most are talking about. I've had Glocks, and S&W most of my adult life. And when my gunsmith told me to look really hard @ an FN I did.......I'm certainly glad I did!!! If I could afford it I would buy more now. I even told my local LGS that if FN made a compact 45 in the FNS line-up, it would be a show stopper. Some hate the fact that that there triggers are a bit hard to work or, or have too many parts to them (compared to Glock). Yet they have had one of the the best triggers out there, for a Factory trigger. You still have take-up, but not near as much as other. Very pronounced "Wall" or where it stops & the break is very crisp & not gritty at all, consistent as well. The reset is very good and almost no over-travel. Some "Experts" say they can feel it.......I can't.

NONE of this stuff I ever knew about till I learned it. I've learned from so many people over the years, I am glad I had many around me to help & to learn from.

I have an FNS9c.......IMHO, it has been the best Compact 9 I have ever had in my hands & fired. Even more so than the S&W 9c and the G26 for a comparison. Keep in mind that Both of those are still very good handguns. The G26 has had a track history like no other.......but I really like my FN for sure.

The ONLY striker fire to this date that I have fired (and have) I would rank above my FN is is the HK VP series.......by far one of the FINEST I have ever had the pleasure of placing in my hands.

As far as convincing your cousin that there might actually be something out there other than Glock.....I am sorry, and good luck

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    FNH has been making quality handguns since John Browning moved to Belgium in the late 1920's

That said, you don't here much about them because they truly don't market themselves. You would literally have to go fire one to know what most are talking about. I've had Glocks, and S&W most of my adult life. And when my gunsmith told me to look really hard @ an FN I did.......I'm certainly glad I did!!! If I could afford it I would buy more now. I even told my local LGS that if FN made a compact 45 in the FNS line-up, it would be a show stopper. Some hate the fact that that there triggers are a bit hard to work or, or have too many parts to them (compared to Glock). Yet they have had one of the the best triggers out there, for a Factory trigger. You still have take-up, but not near as much as other. Very pronounced "Wall" or where it stops & the break is very crisp & not gritty at all, consistent as well. The reset is very good and almost no over-travel. Some "Experts" say they can feel it.......I can't.

NONE of this stuff I ever knew about till I learned it. I've learned from so many people over the years, I am glad I had many around me to help & to learn from.

I have an FNS9c.......IMHO, it has been the best Compact 9 I have ever had in my hands & fired. Even more so than the S&W 9c and the G26 for a comparison. Keep in mind that Both of those are still very good handguns. The G26 has had a track history like no other.......but I really like my FN for sure.

The ONLY striker fire to this date that I have fired (and have) I would rank above my FN is is the HK VP series.......by far one of the FINEST I have ever had the pleasure of placing in my hands.

As far as convincing your cousin that there might actually be something out there other than Glock.....I am sorry, and good luck
    Thanks for the info. The FNS9c is what originally got me looking at them. Then I saw they have a .40 as well. As of right now, i don't see myself modifying the gun much if at all.

As far as the Glockhead goes...lol. He seems fairly knowledgeable to handguns, a lot more than me anyway. He is open to looking at any brand/model/size of gun especially if he gets to shoot them but when it comes down to it, he will only buy a Glock. I look at it like guys who only have Loomis rods or Shimano reels, etc. In the store they will play with any and all brands but when the cash comes out, they only buy "their" brand.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggumup View Post
    Thanks for the info. The FNS9c is what originally got me looking at them. Then I saw they have a .40 as well. As of right now, i don't see myself modifying the gun much if at all.

As far as the Glockhead goes...lol. He seems fairly knowledgeable to handguns, a lot more than me anyway. He is open to looking at any brand/model/size of gun especially if he gets to shoot them but when it comes down to it, he will only buy a Glock. I look at it like guys who only have Loomis rods or Shimano reels, etc. In the store they will play with any and all brands but when the cash comes out, they only buy "their" brand.
    Loyalty can be measure in many different ways......it goes back to how/where you were raised. If you own a Ford, GM or Dodge, most likely it was influenced one time or another by early childhood.

Same can be said for just about anything else, so you have a very valid point. I like St.Croix. I will always be a St.Croix guy. But I would have never know about how other brands of rods truly are (to me) if I didn't try them. I have a few Kistlers as well, but would have never bought them is not influenced from piers to give them a try. I'm glad I did as I have 3 that are my Fav's, but I Still have some Croix's I love to death as well.

It's all relevant when it comes down to it. You cousin is just getting what he believes will never let him down no matter what. and there is nothing wrong with that. I Believe deeply in my HK and my FNS.....more so than my Shield at this time, but time will tell.

6. Member
    I just found a good write up on the FNS9c if interested.

https://www.deguns.net/7-Fun-Facts-A...gun-s/2788.htm

7. Member
    check out Hickok 45 review of FNS9c ---he really like it too