Thread: XI5 modding?

XI5 modding

I just installed a XI5 on my boat. Got the 24v 60in because it was what they had in Stock at the time. I had one on my last boat and had a hdi ducer on it doing the coil method. Worked but not astetically pleasing. This new one didn't not have pinpoint gps installed ( got that model so it would not have the built in ducer), so got the gps and installed it today. Looking at the head unit there is just 2 wire that run down the shaft to the motor. And there is plenty of room to run a ducer cable inside. Got me thinking. What if I cut the HDI ducer 12-24 in from the blue connector. Then drill a small hole in the xi5 shaft above the motor and below what would interfere with closing the motor. Then I could run the wire internally and come out another small drill hole in the head. Then just solder the ducer cable and be done. I know I would have to seal the drill hole on the shaft so water does not enter the motor. But it seems do able. Any thoughts? And I know it would void warranty, but it's just a thought I'm rolling around my brain.
    Last edited by Nyghtryder_9; 01-21-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Totalscan -Bow
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Airmar Tm150 / 3D- Console
    Hydrowave V2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    10cc Black light LED's deck & rub rail

2. Member
    I did the coil method but didn't wrap around the shaft. I just attached the coil to the deck at the base....when I pull it up it the coil just makes a loop. Looks much better than jamming up and it was too tight when around the shaft. Made it hard to pull up before.

So I went ahead with my idea. I drilled a hole in the shaft. Cut the hdi ducer cable about 18in below the blue connector. It is a tight fit, but was able to pull the cable thru. I drilled a hole in the head for the ducer cable to exit out of and coiled it down with the other cables. Siliconed to hole on the shaft and wrapped with a silicone tape for added protection. Instead off a junction box to re attach the hdi ducer, I went with shrink crimp connectors. The ducer cable had the power and ground separate from the info wires, both wrapped with a foil shield. So I did the same, separated them and wrapped with foil and then silicone tape. I took it out for about 2 hrs today to test and it worked perfect. Motor worked great and hdi preformed the same as it always has! So for now success!!!

2016 Tracker 195 TXW
    Merc 4S 150HP
    Trophy Plus 23p
    Mercury moniter Lvl 1
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Totalscan -Bow
    HDS 12 Gen 3/ Airmar Tm150 / 3D- Console
    Hydrowave V2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    10cc Black light LED's deck & rub rail