Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

G1 vs G2N vs ONIX

After the last couple of days and many hours behind the seat this will be my recommendation to my customers. I have run the G1 and G2n mega side-by-side and the G2N mega and Onix.

In the way HB has always had great SI they now have a great Si/Di machine at a great price. The dedicated Di element in the mega units makes this line a complete unit that honestly blows away everything else in the price range and many of those above it. I do have customers that already have Helix Gen1 si and di units both at the console and for them I can't see the additional investment at this time. Unless of course they want the bluetooth features or just like new toys! TheG1 H12 si and H10 di units we ran next to the Mega 10 pretty much held their own. Were the mega images sharper?, sure and they were very impressive but for the money my folks have already spent I think waiting won't hurt them at all.

Now for the mega vs Onix. For me there are just to many features on the Onix that I really enjoy using to leave for the mega. The Onix is still king of the Di with the Mega and the G1 H10 being close. The mega Si images are sharper but honestly if you are running an Onix it's close, very, very close with the Onix at 800Khz. Despite all of it's issues the Onix hasn't been knocked off the top just yet when it comes to imaging and details.

So FWIW there is my opinion for now. As usual everything is subject to change as I spend more time with any one unit.

I was also running another brand in the same price range as the Mega 9 and if you are looking for a unit in that price range just buy the Mega and be done with it.

James, your honest input on these things is always highly valued.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    James, your honest input on these things is always highly valued.
    Thanks Bob

I'm fortunate that I can play with a lot of new toys and sometimes the "new" causes folks to dump something for cheap when it's perfectly fine for now. I remember well selling cheap for something new that wasn't worth it after the purchase.

4. Member
    Thanks James for your evaluation. Get a chance to try that Ultrex yet?

Just saw your other post...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    fishfood, who can i get to help me set up my Onix 10? my SI/DI horrible compared to my buddys Helix 9. any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Ton View Post
    fishfood, who can i get to help me set up my Onix 10? my SI/DI horrible compared to my buddys Helix 9. any help would be greatly appreciated!
    What version of software? If 2.7 did you load the patch? Reset factory defaults after update?

Is the transducer parallel with the surface of the water at idle? I have a video on my YouTube channel that explains this procedure.

Where are you located?

youtube is Pickwick Marine Electronics

7. Member
    James, Thanks for the honest evaluation. was thinking of ungrading an 800 and 1100 series Core units to Helix this year and was torn between the G1 and G2n mega units.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Thanks James! Great info as always!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    James, Thanks for the honest evaluation. was thinking of ungrading an 800 and 1100 series Core units to Helix this year and was torn between the G1 and G2n mega units.
    Mega for sure with that upgrade. The dedicated Di element makes it a no-brainer for me. You're not that far from me, about two hours if you want to come over and take a boat ride.

10. Member
    James. I may have to take you up on that sometime in the next few weeks. I assume you are referring to Pickwick?
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

11. Member
    Liked your review. I am wanting to add a second unit to my boat and move my 898SI to the bow. I am still tossing the Helix10 Mega and the ONIX units around but I can not decide. After reading your review my lean is more towards the ONIX unit

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    James. I may have to take you up on that sometime in the next few weeks. I assume you are referring to Pickwick?
    Yep, I'm down in the Bear Creek, Eastport area. Just give me a shout if you want to see them.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Liked your review. I am wanting to add a second unit to my boat and move my 898SI to the bow. I am still tossing the Helix10 Mega and the ONIX units around but I can not decide. After reading your review my lean is more towards the ONIX unit
    I

If I had to choose between the two and didn't own an Onix already the 10mega would get the call. Adding another unit down the road could be another Helix.

14. Member
    James made me switch my mind and I bought 2 onix

15. Member
    shoulda held out for the solix

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hurky509 View Post
    shoulda held out for the solix
    It depends on the budget. For the price of the Onix and it will be completely compatible with the Solix they still aren't a bad deal. In most cases if a person is moving an older unit to the bow the budget matters. For a budget that isn't unlimited the Helix 10 mega is a great unit with the ability to upgrade in the future without breaking the bank.

17. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Great discussion. I have the Onix SI Touch and wondering how the newly announced Solix would change your opinions. The "Mega" capability combined with the capabilities of Onix seems like a real winner to me.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

18. Member
    i will have to check the software version. that could be part of the problem. i am located in southern middle tn.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Great discussion. I have the Onix SI Touch and wondering how the newly announced Solix would change your opinions. The "Mega" capability combined with the capabilities of Onix seems like a real winner to me.
    If (OK when) I get my hands on one I'll let you know I can see replacing one Onix with the new unit in a network. All three if I win the lottery!!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Ton View Post
    i will have to check the software version. that could be part of the problem. i am located in southern middle tn.
    I'm only about 1.5 hours from you. I've been to Columbia many times and bought my boat motor in Lawrenceburg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast