1998 tr21 setup expectations

New to me boat last fall, had some time to run it out and see how it's doing. I was hoping to get some help on what to expect this boat to do compared to what it's doing now and also what max rpm's should be for this motor. 98 tr21 with 2001 Yamaha 225 ox66 with 6" manual plate set at 6.25 above the transom using method posted on other forum. Currently has a 27m prop on it that was reconditioned due to slight damage (don't know about the guys work). Wot rpm fully trimmed is 5450 - 5550 @ 66 mph on gps with 16-18lbs of water pressure. This was a couple months ago with 65 air and water temp. Showing about 14% slip. Boat handles very well and has a pretty good hole shot. I feel like it could use a bit more bow lift, but not terrible. I haven't messed with anything until I asked all of you what you think. I almost always run it fully loaded fuel and live wells with coangler and that is how it was when I got these results. Am I close or could my setup use some work? A little concerned it's going to be a turd in the heat....

2. Member
    The height above the transome means nothing,you need to know the prop to pad distance. The way to measure that can be found with a search on this site. Most set ups start at 3.5" under the pad and adjust from there. If the engine is healthy you can probably get more speed but you may need a different prop. A Tempest + runs very well on that boat. That prop has the PVS vent holes so you can dial in the hole shot. Those are pretty fast hulls but they will chine walk bad from about 70mph and up,it will take some driving.

3. Member
    An 8" plate would help you a little and some prop work. That's the right prop but it's showing too much slip right now. You can raise it 1/4" more on the 6" plate to get your rpm's up but you need to be closer to 5700-5800 loaded. Keep as much weight in the rear as possible and balance your load side to side when your setting still. At 66 your about 6 mph slow.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    An 8" plate would help you a little and some prop work. That's the right prop but it's showing too much slip right now. You can raise it 1/4" more on the 6" plate to get your rpm's up but you need to be closer to 5700-5800 loaded. Keep as much weight in the rear as possible and balance your load side to side when your setting still. At 66 your about 6 mph slow.
    Thanks MD, I know it's hard to say, but if I was to have the prop worked to help slip and bow lift, wouldn't I lose rpm? I know I could probably get some back raising the plate but Do you think it can turn a "good" 27".

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    The height above the transome means nothing,you need to know the prop to pad distance. The way to measure that can be found with a search on this site. Most set ups start at 3.5" under the pad and adjust from there. If the engine is healthy you can probably get more speed but you may need a different prop. A Tempest + runs very well on that boat. That prop has the PVS vent holes so you can dial in the hole shot. Those are pretty fast hulls but they will chine walk bad from about 70mph and up,it will take some driving.
    I will try to get ptp measurement when the weather clears a bit. I just measured it that way because almost all of the triton setup info is listed that way. I questioned it too until I read how to measure that way on here. Most say 6 to 6.5 above the transom on those boats with a 6in plate and higher with larger ones from what I gathered.

6. Member
    Your slip number is closer to 19% than 14% now and you just need it repaired to like new condition not have cup added which is where a lot of guys end up losing rpm's. Your not going to get a lot of bow lift since the boat doesn't run with the bow high anyway. I'm running a 27" prop on my Tr21 with a 225 and can hit 72 loaded easy. You could hit it right now if the prop was repaired right.

7. Member
    MD, are you running a 27m? That would be awesome if I could get mine to run like that. I guess I will be sending my prop in. I talked to Croxton a while back and he mentioned something about the m1 vs m2 yamaha props. Have you had any dealings with these? I am going to post this question in the prop section too.

Thanks again for your help!

8. Member
    No I run a 225 Mercury and run 4 blade props don't really like how the boat runs with a 3 blade.

9. Member
    Ok. Thanks

10. Member
    Update: found 300 rpm's. #4 throttle plate screw was gone! After finding one and setting it and the hot foot, I touched 70 at 5800rpm with a little trim left. Rooster was half way up cowling and it just started to chine so I drove it like that with no more trim. It ran so much stronger than before, like a new boat! I also replaced the water pressure gauge and am showing 25 lbs running like that. I am much happier now that it's running more like it is supposed to and will start tinkering with the setup when it warms up a bit more. Still think I have too much slip so I think I will give croxton a call and send him my prop. Thanks for all the help so far.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66