Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2005 19.5 ft Stratos

Hey guys just looking for some info on a problem I'm having, I got the boat with a 24 v trolling motor and a three blade stainless steel prop. The trolling motor I felt didn't have enough power when it got windy and the batteries seemed to die after about 6 hours out. So I decided to up great everything to new stuff , I put a 36 v trolling motor on and added 3 group 31 batteries and I also added a group 31 cranking battery. My problem now is that when I'm fishing a tournament and I have another person with gear in the boat and live wells filled , I'm having problems getting up on plane, I've got an evenrude 150 direct inject on the back, the three blade prop with all the weight would just spin out and I couldn't ever get up on plane. So I then put a 4 blade on and it helped out but still took about 50 to 75 yards to get on plane. My first thought was to buy lithium batteries to take out some of the weight but costly, my other thought that a buddy told me about was to,1) look at getting my proposal blue printed. 2) adding a foil to the motor to help get out off the hole. So not sure what to do, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Theres alot of different optios but first and foremost Id start with you pad hight.
    Measure your prop to pad hight and go from there.
    A good start hight should be @ 4 1/4"
    Different prips like different hights too. Id start there then start working on different things
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Actually a good starting point on your hull is 3.5" below pad. When you went to the 4 blade (Renegade maybe?) did you add a weed ring to assist with prop blow out? You've added a bunch of weight and that won't help the 150 at all. You probably would have been better keeping the 24 V TM (you didn't say what it was) and installing new TM batts and upgraded the wiring from the Batts to the TM at the bow.
    Now on to your setup. What are the two props you are running????

Here is how you measure your prop to pad:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660

And Welcome to BBC!!

4. Member
    With a 150 on a 19.5' boat and almost 300 lbs of batteries in the back I'd say the addition of a partner, his tackle and full livewells is more than it can reasonably handle. What HP is the boat rated for, 200/225?

Champion man wont steer you wrong.
    The 4 1/4" I referred to is because of the several Stratos boats with 150's Ive owned they all liked. The prop deeper than other boats. I had the best performance there. Try both and see what works best.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

6. Member
    Wrong motor on the boat if it's a 2005 19'5 boat it's a 295xl boat rated for a 200 motor

7. Member
    As others have said, a 150 is really not enough motor for that boat imo. I once had a 19'-6" champion with a 150 and it was very under powered, if it was a light load it was okay but the hole shot was awful. If I had three people in the boat, one would have to sit on the deck till it broke over. The extra person, live wells full, extra battery and gear is a heck of a load even if you had a 200. I really can't imagine needing a 36v on a 19-6, my boat is a 21-10 and I run a 24v without problems. A 21' Ranger or the like is a heavy boat and could really benefit from one but your boat is substantially lighter. Just my opinion based on personal experience, good luck.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Well he has what he has so he either has to adapt or sell the rig.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Well he has what he has so he either has to adapt or sell the rig.
    I was suggesting adapting, put the boat on a diet.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

10. Member
    There's been some good post here but except sell the rig. Don't do that. I agree with the motor height sounds like the prop isn't getting enough bite. Rule of thumb is when you floor it to get up on plane you should go 3000 rpm. My opinion you did the right thing on adding the 36 volt trolling motor.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG.Mo View Post
    I was suggesting adapting, put the boat on a diet.
    Have to figure out how to fix his issue. Point is he has a boat that is running 150 no matter who makes it and he's changed the original configuration, now how does he make it perform.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I'm thinking smaller prop...

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    ^^^Right there^^^

14. Member
    he really needs to post the model number of the boat,i had a 2005 stratos 295xl boat with a 200 on it and it should have had a 225 on it,that boat has a ton of storage room and huge livewells

I had a 19 ft. Charger with a 150 Suzuki EFI. I had the same problem with a 36 volt trolling motor. I was on a different fishing forum back then. One of the sponsors of that bass page was a guy that worked props. Gave him all the particulars, boat weight, ect ect. And sent him a 3 blade wheel.

I had guys swear I had a 200 with 150 decals. This boat would snap your neck on the holeshot and plane out in a few seconds. He is retired now ( maybe not even with us). His name was Rich Boger -- Boger props out of Texarkana-- one of the best prop guys that ever did props.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    You didn't say what pitch the prop is or what brand it is. Yeah, you are underpowered, but you can probably get around that a bit. Try dropping your prop by at least 2 Deg. like from a 25 to a 23. Also, if you have vent holes in the prop, get smaller plugs and try that. The added weight needs to be adjusted for. Also, check your pad height. But I think you can fix this with the prop.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    I have a 19'6" Stratos and I weigh 300 pounds. I have three size 31 batteries but only a 24 volt motor. It's a slug with a partner, and two huge full livewells. I have a 175 four stroke. I think you could do well with only three batteries, and a 80# 24 volt motor, but that's just me. Props are fixed, and sometimes you can't get a decent hole shot if heavy, along with the speed you want on top end.

18. Member
    I would check with a few prop places about first off the size and second off getting it blueprinted. Those guys will help you out and know what you need. I have a new 19.5 ft stratos and I'm running my 200 SHO 2" prop to pad, every boat is different there is no fix all formula. But to me, it sounds like a smaller prop with more blade surface is needed so you can spin it faster and still have enough blade surface to push you onto plane

I have an 18 Javelin with a 150 which is pretty much the same boat as a Stratos. I cannot imagine a 19 with only a 150. I an no expert but I wouldn't think a different prop would help that much with all that weight in the back of the boat.

Boat is way underpowered. Going to have to go to a shorter prop but you're going to lose top end. You have nearly 400lb of batteries, 300 ish lb of water with full wells, plus fuel at 6.5lb/gal plus partner. Move the heavy stuff up front as far as it will go to try and break the bow over, but you're living with a compromise until you repower or go back to a 24v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast