Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trim while running question

Ok i have had my 920 for over a year now and am loving it, my question is I have read a lot of you make the statements that these hulls don't like a lot of trim. With my boat I have only got good numbers out of it when doing the opposite, I trim it completely out. In doing this I have had my rig over 80 numeriouse times with a personal best of 81.4, I always wonder am I the only one with a boat that likes trim. Quick rundown of my setup is 2015 920 250 pro xs and a 10" jackplate with an additional 2 1/2" static plate added to it so 12 1/2" of setback and I usually run around 2 1/2" up to 2" below with a 25 or 26 fury, just depends on weather.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    some guys are trimed up but dont realize it because the gauge was never calibrated and seem to run best at 1/4 to 1/2 on the gauge. Im curious to where your gauge is when just at the top of the 2 trim pistons, I have a friend with the same setup including the 2 1/2" plate added which did increase his speed but hasn't broke 78 yet, he is running it at 2 3/4" P2P and plans to go up another 1/2"
    thats awesome numbers, hope to help him reach the same.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I've got mine to where at full trim my gauge reads 1/2 way, I'll trim it up all the way once it breaks over not all at once tho I'll go half way then let the boat catch up then trim it out till it stops. Then sometimes it needs a baby bump back down to get over 80 but a lot of times it'll do it on its own. Just for the record my setup does require drive input running that fast but I am used to that owning a few Bullets in the past

4. Member
    I'm like you I trim up and raise the plate. I don't look at the trim gauge just the plate normally 15-17 on 12" atlas

Quote Originally Posted by riverlizard View Post
    I'm like you I trim up and raise the plate. I don't look at the trim gauge just the plate normally 15-17 on 12" atlas
    Yep....thats where I am with trim at 8/9 on the Merc Monitor. Everyone is gonna be a little different due to setback and prop.

I have mine set up well and can run 74-77 with one hand a no walk or feedback in steering.

Mine gains a mph or 2 three bumps down from FT. Your extra set back is most likely why your likes FT. I know Jerry had a 921 he add degree wedges to give him more positive trim and the boat liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Co. Hank View Post
    Mine gains a mph or 2 three bumps down from FT. Your extra set back is most likely why your likes FT. I know Jerry had a 921 he add degree wedges to give him more positive trim and the boat liked it.
    Thats how mine is as will. Bigger setbacks seem to like trimmed out for max speed.

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I trim out all the time with my jp up high as well, with my sho. I have a rooster tail higher than I wish, but that's where I top out on speed.
    I'd like to lower that RT somehow without sacrificing top end

I think the thing with trimming to far out came with guys not knowing how to control the boat yet because we all know it needs to be driven if the setup is off.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

10. Member
    If I bump my trim down my speed falls with it

Full trim for me. The only exception is with no gas and empty wells the boat will gain speed just a tap on the trim down because it's so light it must be about pointing to the sky lol. You can easily feel it when that boat gets cooking. I don't know exactly what it is but it's like it's on a shelf which is probably the pad. Trim up and the boat feels like it kicks up. Trim down and it literally feels like it fell down. I think the experienced guys at top end understand what I'm talking about.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Yep, been trying to explain that to my friends, its like you are on pad and its flying but there is still one more sweet spot, and just like shifting gears it will pick up extra speed, you can really feel it on slick water
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    I'm very familIr coming from a Bullet, it's like balancing on the edge of a 2x4 lol. That's when it feels like a gust of wind could make you flip over haha

I actually enjoy driving a boat that feels like it's on a balance beam
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

15. Member
    Just got mine last Thursday. 618. There's definitely a learning curve there. Went out to break in for an hour and I didn't have much in it besides fuel, life jackets, etc. After the 1 hour break in I kicked her up and she flew, but trimming her out is WAY different than my Skeeter. Didn't want much trim. Went back out the next day with all my tackle loaded and the extra weight made it easier to handle. Gonna have to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Full trim for me. The only exception is with no gas and empty wells the boat will gain speed just a tap on the trim down because it's so light it must be about pointing to the sky lol. You can easily feel it when that boat gets cooking. I don't know exactly what it is but it's like it's on a shelf which is probably the pad. Trim up and the boat feels like it kicks up. Trim down and it literally feels like it fell down. I think the experienced guys at top end understand what I'm talking about.
    I agree completely, that's what was making me wonder about so many talking about not using much trim, these boats feel awesome I think when they kick the nose up and really get back on the pad

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    Just got mine last Thursday. 618. There's definitely a learning curve there. Went out to break in for an hour and I didn't have much in it besides fuel, life jackets, etc. After the 1 hour break in I kicked her up and she flew, but trimming her out is WAY different than my Skeeter. Didn't want much trim. Went back out the next day with all my tackle loaded and the extra weight made it easier to handle. Gonna have to get used to it.
    My 618 likes it at 3 bumps down from full trim. Get the best speed and handling there. Still gotta drive it but not much.
    2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

18. Joe Justice
    Full trim here.

19. Member
    My boat is not a 920 but I have a 721 and the fastest speeds I've seen have been trimmed up pretty high throwing a high rooster tail. I spoke with Tim at Phoenix and he said to start off at 3.5 ptp and if that didn't work go to 3.25 and the best I've gotten is 72 out of it at 3.25 ptp trimmed way up.

20. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaPhoenix View Post
    My boat is not a 920 but I have a 721 and the fastest speeds I've seen have been trimmed up pretty high throwing a high rooster tail. I spoke with Tim at Phoenix and he said to start off at 3.5 ptp and if that didn't work go to 3.25 and the best I've gotten is 72 out of it at 3.25 ptp trimmed way up.
    Should be able to do way better than 72 mph. My 921 does 74. something on the norm, by myself. I'm trimmed to the max with hydro jp way up. Don't know my p2p.
    Don't know what motor you have...I have a sho
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast