Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Exclamation Fishing partners Good ones hard to come by

I've had 3 partners over the years that were real good and almost like family but finding one is hard. My 1st one hurt his back at work and after 2 operations and all couldn't do it anymore,sold his boat and gave me most of his gear.His son is my godson and we still keep in touch and enjoy each others families. we fished together for about 8yrs we won multiple events and made some money along the way and had fun. After that I went thru a lot of multiples trying to find a replacement and someone that I got along with and fished well with teamed up with my mentor after his partner retired and learned a lot from him also but didn't really click as far as a team went still are very good friends but went our separate ways as far as a team still fish against him often. then teamed up with another friend that was younger than me and taught him quite abit about bassin and we fish very well together and have been pretty dominate when we fish together have a good time which is important and get along well. He is now suffering from a bad shoulder and has lost his drive to fish a lot of personal stuff going on besides so now looking again for a replacement .Hope I can find one soon as our season is getting closer by the day just letting off some thought s thanks for listening......
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Good luck. I have lots of people that want to fish with me but not anyone that really clicks.

Have you tried Craigslist?

I have fished with three people since I started. My partner now and I click. We pretty much know what each other are thinking and we don't have any differences when it comes to fishing. We both have the same confidence bait and we hang out several times a week. Last year we won over 3k in the Tuesday night pot tournies. Most of all he understands if something comes up and I can't go. Having kids will do that

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Have you tried Craigslist?
    , that only works for musky fisherman.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

IMO, this can be a challenge..Good Luck in your search..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

7. Member
    I've only had 2 good partners. I had to move away from both of them. Both guys were really cooperative, responsible and were "in the hunt". Both guys ware all business when it was time for that and pretty flexible otherwise. Both guys were really alert to helping protect the boat at all times just like if it was their own investment. I miss them both and still fish with them if I get back there or they come for a visit but that's not a regular occurrence.

this recent partner I had didn't dovetail in with my methods very well. He meant well but we just didn't click IMO. This year I have a possible chance to strike up a partner with a young guy so I'm considering that.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Same here...fishing with the same partner for over 35 years. He is 74 and still going strong. Doubt I will ever find anyone like him.

I had the same fishing partner for 40 years. The last 5-6 years he hasn't fish tournaments or Rally's, doesn't fish any lake other then the pvt. lake he lives on. Last year we only fished together a few times. His fishing days are over, I'll help his wife sell his boat this spring. Alzheimer's is a painful disease.

10. Member
    They are hard to find. Two years ago I was fishing the Bfl as a boater. I didn't know anybody else fishing. Meet a guy we became friends shared fishing information and helped each other out. Turns out we live about 30 mins from each other. Now we fish team trails together. I just told him the other day it's like we have fish together for several years. Guess I lucked out.

11. Banned
    I agree with the part about finding good partners. I had a good partner for several years. He needed pain pills to fish. Then he went to heroin and I didn't know. I was watching TV and They showed him robbing a bank and I knew by his mannerisms it was him. I have been struggling to find a good partner ever sense. Some want to fish, but cant afford it and some are not trustworthy. I am now fishing the FLW TBF draw partner and the elite series here in Ohio where you fish by yourself.

12. Member
    My partner is a great stick, but my wife doesn't have an appreciation for that type of talent. This is just an example of what she usually catches.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

13. Member
    My partner is the one who got me started with bass fishing almost 40 years ago. Great person we get along very well have never ever had any kind of serious disagreement. His style of fishing offsets mine as he likes to power fish and I'm more of the finesse guy, so we can be very versatile when fishing. We have done very well as a team making some pretty good money over the years. We only fish 4 or 5 tournaments a year now but manage to fun fish quite a bit.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

It is hard to find anyone around here that fishes. Everyone I know says they love to fish but they have no fishing equipment and you never see them fishing. I have one guy I work with that likes to fish but he doesn't care about catching bass. Only crappie, trout and catfish for him. He also likes to fish only one place that is 2 miles from his house so he doesnt use any gas in his truck and boat. If I told him the fish were on fire at a lake 15 miles away he would say "that's too far. It would cost me a fortune in gas." My main fishing partner is a good one but our schedules have a hard time lining up. I find myself fishing alone or with my wife most of the time and it seems to work out.

15. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    My partner is a great stick, but my wife doesn't have an appreciation for that type of talent. This is just an example of what she usually catches.

she don't like you fishin with Transsexuals ???

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

16. Member
    You could be right. Come to think of it she does pee standing up.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

I've been fishing with the same partner for 30 + years ,,, He is My Son , Hope to be able to fish with him for several more years... When I was having trouble with My health , He made sure I still got on the water for a few hours every couple of weeks .. I make a great net man.. Thanks Matthew

18. Member
    Al, love this post !! Your first partner was and is a great guy, Jane and I liked him. You have not had a good time with replacements, sorry. By the way YOU can't have my partner !!!
    Good luck Al...

19. Member
    Good luck.

I have had one partner since 1998 and split with him this past year. A second partner who I have fished with in maybe 10 tournaments hasn't been available. My long-time fun fishing partner has said he wants to fish some with me this coming year and Im hoping it works out.

I would rather fish alone than partner with someone who I'm not compatible with. When I have had a boat I mostly fished solo.

20. Loser
    Good luck. A fishing partner is hard to find. I finally let mine go because he's always been a f@#%ing a@#hole. Not gonna put up with it anymore. Have another friend I fish with when he has time and work together well, just trips are few and far between. At this point I'd rather fish alone.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast