Banned

Help me figure this out.

2016 tracker 195, mercury 150 4 stroke 1.92 gears

to start with, when the boat was new, the boat would lift decent and reach 5800 rpms with top speed of 60 mph running light and solo. Now I struggle to run 53-5400 with a top speed around 51 mph. This is with a 24 tempest plus. The prop has never hit anything. The boat has gained some weight but nothing incredible.

When taking off I run the trim up some at 3/4 throttle and 1/2 trim the boat is plowing rpms are 5000 speed is 48, any increase in throttle gains no speed or rpm but increased load on engine.. If I trim any more I feel the prop loose bite and start throwing a rooster tail, at that point my rpms increase, and going to full trim gains a little lift rpms climb to around 5400 and speed to 51.. Seems the prop is trying to lift the boat at 1/2 trim but can't.

have no jack plate and ptp is 4.5" under

You need your prop cleaned up and cup added back... That is a strong guess.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. BBC SPONSOR
    With the 24p tempest not being the greatest propeller out of the box little damage will make the performance drop very quickly. I recommend getting it repaired.

4. Banned
    Ok. My 23 bravo 1 fs runs 53 mph at 5700. Also a bit slow, but I'm not sure if the 23 is a 22 with cup or a 24 with lower cup.
    I did check the hull and do have a 1/8" hook from seating area back to end off hull, I'm pretty sure my problem is more in the hook than props

5. Member
    1/8" hook on a tin boat shouldn't make any difference, Both props show they need some work. How heavy do you have the bow loaded?

6. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    whens the last time you had your fuel filter changed ?

7. Banned
    Well only fuel filter I've found is an inline that I did disassemble and there wasn't anything in it. I ran really light in the bow this weekend, just 8 rods maybe 10 packs of soft plastics and my hard baits/terminal tackle that weighs in at 14#. Have a hds 5 on bow and motor guide x5 70.

the bravo is brand new I bought this summer to get rpms back and better rough water ride. It's been babied ran in clear water and never touched anything, may have 10 hours on it.. Just odd that the boat slowed down so much over the course of a year.

8. Member
    Have you checked and changed your plugs? You could be running down one cylinder. Have you had a mechanic look at it to make sure the throttle is opening all the way since it sounds like this has been going on for a while.

9. Banned
    I've checked the throttle, it is going wot. Guess it's possible to be down a cylinder, but hole shot and mid range is strong. I want to believe its prop related but just doesn't seem it is. I've run a few props and same results. Beginning to think its fuel related at top end, trying to get in touch with don weed. There isn't any reliable mechanics around here anymore, don is about 1.5 hrs out. We shall see

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    There is a low pressure fuel filter right under the oil filter (big yellow handle). Get one and change it out, just to be sure. You should do that annually when you do your 100 hr oil change. If you're not sure, scan the QR code inside the motor and it will link you to a video that shows how to do it. (I'm assuming you have a smart phone with a QR code reader)

There is also a high pressure fuel filter...but that's not a job for the backyard mechanic.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

11. Member
    If you've changed props and it still doing the same thing it's not the prop. Is the inline filter factory or something that's been added to the boat? Mercury does not recommend any extra fuel filters added to the line because it can restrict fuel flow. Don's had computer troubles. He'll probably tell you to take the inline filter out but for now you can test the fuel flow by hooking up a portable fuel tank to your motor and running it. If the problem goes away you know it's fuel related and can start from there.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnertech41 View Post
    2016 tracker 195, mercury 150 4 stroke 1.92 gears

to start with, when the boat was new, the boat would lift decent and reach 5800 rpms with top speed of 60 mph running light and solo. Now I struggle to run 53-5400 with a top speed around 51 mph. This is with a 24 tempest plus. The prop has never hit anything. The boat has gained some weight but nothing incredible.

When taking off I run the trim up some at 3/4 throttle and 1/2 trim the boat is plowing rpms are 5000 speed is 48, any increase in throttle gains no speed or rpm but increased load on engine.. If I trim any more I feel the prop loose bite and start throwing a rooster tail, at that point my rpms increase, and going to full trim gains a little lift rpms climb to around 5400 and speed to 51.. Seems the prop is trying to lift the boat at 1/2 trim but can't.

have no jack plate and ptp is 4.5" under
    My old tracker 195 with 150 mercury 4s did the same
    Tom speed with my and light load 62. One day I took it out with my wife who weighs 130 and we had one tackle bag, left everything in the new boat. Top speed 50.
    I did have a plate on it at one time it was a 6" and 3" prop to pad its top speed was half tank and tourney load 66.
    Couldn't explain why it was never consistent on speed. But the boat is no longer owned by me.

13. Member
    If your Tracker has a sub floor then I would certainly check for water, or water soaked foam. I'm not familiar with this particular hull but this will surely slow down any boat and many times go unnoticed!
    You may even get the original weight and then compare yours just to make sure!
    Surely you would notice if the engine didn't sound right were it not up to par and it's hard for me to believe a prop would degrade in performance 10MPH without noticeable damage!!

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I know this is going to sound strange but but a friend of mine had the exact same symptoms only his motor was a 200 Pro XS. His problem was a spark plug wire came loose. Strange thing is the boat started,idled and ran fine it just struggled to have any lift and power seemed weak and he had a loss of speed and rpm. Hopefully your issue is something simple like that...it will only take a few minutes to check the plug wires so I would do it just to make sure all are snapped on tight.