Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailering with a jack plate

I have a ETEC 150 HO with a 6" Atlas hydraulic jack plate on my Triton 189 TRX. Aside from ground clearance issues, is their an optimal height adjustment for the jack plate when trailering longer distances? Also, the motor has a "lift support bracket" to lock motor in place. Is this adequate or would you still recommend using a transom saver? Thanks.

2. Member
    I keep it all the way down. No clearance issues. Get a motormate and don't look back.

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I would trailer the boat with the jackplate set at whatever height is your normal running set up. That way, if the plate were to malfunction, you can at least still use the boat. Also, you will have it down enough so that the plate has more support when trailering, as opposed to being in a higher position. I don't know if the lift support bracket is enough with an Evinrude or not. I know several folks have used that alone in the past. I'd use a transom saver of some type if it was mine. You might check with your dealer and see what Evinrude recommends.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I would trailer the boat with the jackplate set at whatever height is your normal running set up. That way, if the plate were to malfunction, you can at least still use the boat. Also, you will have it down enough so that the plate has more support when trailering, as opposed to being in a higher position. I don't know if the lift support bracket is enough with an Evinrude or not. I know several folks have used that alone in the past. I'd use a transom saver of some type if it was mine. You might check with your dealer and see what Evinrude recommends.

Going off what Bill said, my bracket on the evinrude won't prevent my motor from turning as I go down the road, hence why I ended up with a motormate. My motor is now rock solid. Use to have a transom saver that hooked to the roller on the trailer and to the LU but the motormate holds the motor down tight, unlike the old transom savers. Plus it fits in the back compartment of the boat. If it were me, I would look into the motormate type ones. There is one other really popular brand but I can't think of the name of it right now. Either would be great additions.

5. Member
    That Bracket on Evenrude and Johnson Motors is to support the motor while/if you need to work on the Tilt Pump System. They are not made to be a motor support for towing.

At least that is what the older ones were used for according to the Repair Manuals.

Jack Plate, run it where you normally set it.

The newer ETEC's are intended to use the motor bracket, per BRP. I added the M-Y Wedge centering clips to prevent the motor from turning and it works great. The motor is rock solid and I haven't had any issues.

http://www.m-ywedge.com/products.html
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    That Bracket on Evenrude and Johnson Motors is to support the motor while/if you need to work on the Tilt Pump System. They are not made to be a motor support for towing.

At least that is what the older ones were used for according to the Repair Manuals.

Jack Plate, run it where you normally set it.
    Nope, sorry. That is the trailer support bracket. That's what it is designed for. Flip it down and trim the motor down. You can add the clips like Glenn suggested or you can use a bungee cord wrapped around the steering wheel and attached to a hand rail or the shift lever. Been that way since the FasTrac trim system came out in 1991. You of course can use a Motor Mate or any other aftermarket support you wish to.

8. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    If I'm going to travel a longer distance I lower it for full support.

9. Banned
    Atlas instructs to trailer with the jack plate all the way down

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    And to use what bracket for the motor? That is also one of his questions?

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^ and I like the motormate
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    And to use what bracket for the motor? That is also one of his questions?
    Sorry, I didn't realize I had to answer both questions just to post. That would be up to him. I'm just letting him know what atlas suggests

http://thmarine.com/blog/atlas-jackplate-care/

Always trailer and store with the jackplate in the lowest “down” position! Trailering with the plate "up" puts a lot of unnecessary weight and pressure on the hydraulics and on the plate itself, which significantly increases the chances of a problem down the road. If you see someone else trailering or storing their boat with the ATLAS™ up, let them know to lower it down!

13. Banned
    +1

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sorry, I didn't realize I had to answer both questions just to post. That would be up to him. I'm just letting him know what atlas suggests

http://thmarine.com/blog/atlas-jackplate-care/
    No Troy, only wanted to see what you recommended.

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Oops - motor mate!!!!

16. Member
    Per TH Marine:

• "Always trailer and store with the jackplate in the lowest “down” position! Trailering with the plate "up" puts a lot of unnecessary weight and pressure on the hydraulics and on the plate itself, which significantly increases the chances of a problem down the road. If you see someone else trailering or storing their boat with the ATLAS™ up, let them know to lower it down!"

17. Banned
    No Troy, only wanted to see what you recommended.
    Shit don't ask me I do like the newer styles over the old style transom savers

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    To the OP make your own decision on a motor support and according to the Atlas users run it down to the bottom.

19. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    With my 225HO I always used the factory bracket....with this 250 and broke factory bracket, I was given the motor mate with the engine.....It's the cats meow!!

20. Banned
    To the OP make your own decision on a motor support and according to the Atlas users run it down to the bottom.
    this is the one i use for my hpdi. no idea who makes it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast