Vision touch pad

My vision touch pad is dead AGAIN for the second time. And I see they don't have them in stock at the store anybody got.an extra laying around? How can you waterproof these thing it goes crazy anytime it gets wet and this last time itndied.

2. Member
    They actually have them. I just received one yesterday via fed ex. The web site says out of stock, but they have them. Probably no one updates the in stock / out of stock status very often. Call parts.

3. Member
    Great!!and thanks for news. Now does anybody know how to waterproof the dang things.

4. Member
    Let me find time to install mine and I'll let you know.

5. Member
    Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again. This has worked for me and was suggested by basscat. Just taking power off of it won't do it.

6. Member
    I think there is one for sale on the Bass Cat Owners Group facebook page
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD/Evinrude G2
    Realtor, Co-Owner
    Complete Real Estate
    142 Market Square Newington, CT 06111
    Cell: 860-608-8857 Tel: 860-665-1000 Fax: 860-665-8062
    Instagram: @Maximillianaire

7. Member
    got one on the way from Basscat along with the black box that goes with it.

8. Member
    I did a careful inspection when I installed mine. Here is what you might try. I had a tube of clear RTV handy with the screw-on extension. I ran a VERY tiny bead of RTV around the edge of the touch pad where it sits in the bezel (after removing the adhesive cover of course). Stuck it down carefully, then the RTV, then a finger to carefully smooth the RTV and make sure it is forced into the small crack around the overlay. The only way water has left is from the back, where the ribbon cable goes through the dash, the bezel, and into the touch pad. I did not worry with that since it ought to be out of the way of water. I don't spray under there when washing, and about the only other issue is speedo. If you have ever blown the rubber tube off the back, you know how much water that produces, I have been soaked many times in my old Astro. Usually happened at speeds in the 75-85 range, and only happened when I was using wire ties to clamp the tube on to the speedo barb. I later found some small clamps that were much better and that problem went away. If you avoid that tube popping off, I don't see how water can get into the thing. Actually, I am not sure how water would get in without the RTV either, the adhesive is pretty stout and the old one appeared to be well-sealed.

One other note: The black box. Mine was installed originally where it was putting a lot of pressure on the ribbon cable / connector where it plugs into the black box. This time I first oriented the black box so that the cable would not be twisted. I used a wire tie on one end to tie it to the speedo retainer, and on the other end to tie it to a big bundle of wires. It is held rock-solid and won't shift around. The wiring harness from the boat side had plenty of room so I plugged that in last. I had issues with the ribbon cable connector where it was pulled so hard the connector was letting go (it clamps the ribbon cable and has tiny vampire taps that penetrate the ribbon cable right on the end to make the connections. This vertical mounting also will eliminate the black box catching stuff. Mine was originally mounted with the potted side up, which turned it into a small bowl. Somehow, whatever the previous owner was doing, he managed to completely fill the thing with "stuff". Grass/weeds/bugs/you-name-it. With it mounted vertically, this ought to not happen. I can take a pic if you don't follow my rambling description. :)

After the replacement, all lights and functions now work as expected.

Vision Touch Pads and Vision Control Assemblies are in stock.

BCB

10. Member
    Probably need to update web page as it says "out of stock"...

I'll send allan an email...

BTW, another addition. There is a third entry-way for water. Between the bezel and dash. Mine seems to be RTV'ed in, at least the top half (I would not RTV the entire thing as that can trap moisture inside where it can't run out the bottom.)

If you are paranoid, you can use what the Navy likes to call "monkey crap" (not exactly what they call it, but close enough). It is a clay-like material that is used to stuff into big conduit runs to seal them off as a way for fire to spread. You could stick a gob of that above and below the ribbon cable where it penetrates the back side of the dash if you are prone to hose everything down under the dash, or if you regularly sink the thing by bean poling big waves. :)

11. Member
    ok got the new one in and the black box (Thanks Allen) I will rtv it as much as I can. One question I have is I know there is a "hidden button" right in the center how would I hook something to that? I would like to put a pump out for my livewells in and would be nice if I could use that hidden button for that

Contact Richard and he can work you through that.

13. Member
    I am not sure it is still there. When I put mine in, the bubble switches were pretty obvious and I did not see a bubble in the center. In the one I removed it was there (with no markings of course). When I did the RTV trick, I used the long nozzle cut off at the very end so that it produced a tiny bead. I smoothed that carefully with my finger tip and cleaned up with alcohol. Undetectable unless you get real close. Whether it will help or not is unknown.

Yours is the ATen not the Vision. Totally different.

15. Member
    ME? Mine is the vision. Round. Horn on top, then bilge, live well and lights. About the size of a standard speedo or tach gauge...

My only live well options are off, manual, 3 and 5 minute delays.

Seems to work well. And I suspect it will last a while as I carefully mounted the box so that there is NO stress whatsoever on the ribbon cable and no movement to fatigue the cable either.

Then yes, there is a hidden button in the dead center of your key pad. Feel carefully and you will find it smack dab in the middle!

17. Member
    Including the very newest version they did? I could feel/see it on the previous touch pad. I didn't on this one. But I will look again to be sure since I have not tried to track which wires coming out of the thing are affected by the switch as of yet...

It has the button.

19. Member
    If I remember right, it's the orange wire on the back of the touchpad that the hidden button powers. At least on mine that was the case.