Help me understand...

I joined this group in March of 2014 but never posted until a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a new 2017 Nitro Z20 w/Mercury 250 Pro XS in mid December. I have an expected delivery between mid February to early March. Not sure if I belong in this group. Is everyone here a B.A.S.S. Open/Elite Series professional? If not, why would you sweat 1-2 mph out of your boat top end? Is 70 mph not enough? What am I missing?

2. Member
    Why wouldnt you want an extra couple mph? its always fun to tweak and mod your baby

3. Member
    Speed = efficiency. 70MPH at 6000rpm burns the same as 74mph at 6000 rpm. Better fuel mileage. Oh, and more fun. No such thing as too fast.

4. Member
    Some people are just all about achieving the top performance out of their boat.

5. Member
    I have a Z8 with a 250, had a 901 with a 200 before and a 700LX with a 115 before that. I never once messed with my set up. I just never felt like I wanted to spend a lot of money, time and effort to squeeze out a couple more mph! I'd rather fish. But I know some guys are all about it, and that's cool! But I'm like you, I'm content with my stock set up. FISH ON!!!
    "CATCH EM, PUT EM BACK, CATCH EM AGAIN, PUT EM BACK AGAIN, REPEAT!!"

TGCustomRods@gmail.com

Sponsors:
    My WIFE
    My Wallet

Everyone wants the most speed they can get while spending the least amount of money. This forum has all type of questions from setup, ideas, and problems. U will fit right in. Welcome.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Everyone wants the most speed they can get while spending the least amount of money. This forum has all type of questions from setup, ideas, and problems. U will fit right in. Welcome.
    Thanks guys! I look forward to learning as much as possible. It's going to be in the 70's again today...Think I'll go fishing.

Totally fit in. I run 71 most of the time with a heavy load and more speed does interest me but only cause I have gone 189 on my bikes and 165 in cars and 135 In trucks and up to 76.5 in boat. Haha it's fun to be the fastest on the water some days when the play boats are being "fast" at 60. An my prospective is with the speeds all different they feel the same "the edge of insanity over safety" aka 189 on a bike feels the same as a boat at 76.5

9. Member
    This is a good place to ask questions and learn about bass boats. When I first got my Z8 the steering was hard to turn to the right and while it would go 70-73 it was difficult to drive, due to chine walk. I learned from here about prop to pad (P2P) distance and how it affects a boats ride. Some on here said 3.5-3.75 was good for my type of boat and motor. Started decreasing P2P distance from the factory setting of 4.75" and the ride improved each time. At 3.50" the ride at 70 is very good and steering is easy. It does not cost a thing to play with the P2P setting, just make sure your water pressure stays good as you decrease it.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

10. Member
    Running 55-60 mph is plenty fast enough for me!
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

Quote Originally Posted by jimuga View Post
    Not sure if I belong in this group.

Welcome aboard
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Member
    I got an email from my BPS Birmingham/Leeds Nitro Boat manager that my Z20 went to production today.

13. Member
    On a good day I hit 40 with mine, I would love more speed.

14. Member
    Faster=funer
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

15. Member
    A few years ago a friend asked me what I thought about a used Z8 with 225proxs he was looking at. I said, before you pull the trigger take it on a test run and have the engine diags pulled. He had the engine read and the engine never had seen over 5000rpm and had less than 20hrs on the motor (which had me worried there might be an issue with engine). He had not taken it for a test ride yet. He took it out and it was a rocket for a 225 it hit 5800rpm with ease he said.

Then he asked me something and put the puzzle together on why the engine never was above 5k!
    He asked? How do I cover all the holes drilled for what appears to be crappie pole holders that were on the front and rear deck!!!!

Some people have different uses with bass boats than a lot of us on here.

I fish for crappie sometimes when the bass ain't bittin'.