Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Ok may try this. I talked to a authorized dealer earlier and he said it wouldn't make much of a difference because the brushes are already grounded internally?? He gave me a few more things to try...

Im starting to wonder if I'm going to have to sell my Garmin and go back to HB. I was really looking forward to using the panoptics! SMH!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Parker View Post
    Ok may try this. I talked to a authorized dealer earlier and he said it wouldn't make much of a difference because the brushes are already grounded internally?? He gave me a few more things to try...

Im starting to wonder if I'm going to have to sell my Garmin and go back to HB. I was really looking forward to using the panoptics! SMH!!
    I definitely disagree from my personal experience, and two other Authorized repair centers recommended this to me. It's definitely worth a try, since it gain for most for my situation so far.

3. Member
    I'm in the same exact situation....motor guide, digital 73dv. I only have interference when I step on the pedal for a second or two and then it kinda gets some light black "snow". While on the water yesterday I brought some wire and tried grounding several different ways....same results. I may try to pull the cap off the head of the motor and try that trick but not expecting much. I'm following closely lol

4. Member
    This is what I tried last night:
    I pulled the access wire out of the boat and laid it on top of the deck doubled - WRONG! Worse.
    I coiled it up and I tight coil and zip tied it so that it would cancel out its own magnetism - better, but not completely gone
    I just let it hang off of the front of the boat in the driveway ensuring that it did not cross - best yet (but not practical)

Next, I am going to install home runs from the starter battery breaker to the unit on the bow. I am going to add ferrite magnetics to the transducer cable and power cable as a CYA.

Kevin, you say you removed the transducer from the TM and still got interference?

I have two Garmins (one helm, one bow). When I hit the TM, I get interference on the bow, but, none on the helm. Which, makes sense because the helm is far away from the TM, and it's transducer is far away also. The only thing the two units share is the power connection. I can rule out the power connection because both units use the same, and no interference on one of them.

Rather than trying to eliminate other things, eliminate EVERYTHING by getting everything away from the TM, until you get no interference. (kind of a mock setting it up at the helm). Then start moving things back to the TM little at a time until you get interference again.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

6. Member
    No - when I remove the transducer from the TM I do not get interference. Even with the transducer mounted to the TM I do not get interference. My problem with interference starts when I stow the excess transducer cable

Kevin, take the excess cable, coil it in a circle, grab both ends of the circle and twist them to make a figure 8, then fold the ends on top of each other and tie with a cable tie...

Give that a try. I do that to all my transducer cables..

8. Member
    I installed the internal ground in the head of the TM and hope to try it Saturday.

Whats the odds of the panoptics being interfered with if this doesn't clear the other? It's just been sitting in the box for a week!

9. Member
    Appreciate that - Donnie! I had not thought of that. Good reason to post :-) Get other people's ideas and hear what has worked for them! I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Kevin, take the excess cable, coil it in a circle, grab both ends of the circle and twist them to make a figure 8, then fold the ends on top of each other and tie with a cable tie...

Give that a try. I do that to all my transducer cables..

10. Member
    Try Donnies trick, but you must be storing the cable somewhere close to a source of interference. Or when you store it, it gets closer to something thats causing the noise. Some other cables - power cables or something that are generating that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH-BCB View Post
    No - when I remove the transducer from the TM I do not get interference. Even with the transducer mounted to the TM I do not get interference. My problem with interference starts when I stow the excess transducer cable
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

11. Member
    Most people dont seem to have any problems, so Id say your odds are pretty good. Unfortunately, you cant really tell until you try it. If your trolling motor or other sonar are putting out the wrong bad stuff, you may have problems - or maybe not. Its a crap shoot, but the odds are with you I think.

Quote Originally Posted by C Parker View Post
    I installed the internal ground in the head of the TM and hope to try it Saturday.

Whats the odds of the panoptics being interfered with if this doesn't clear the other? It's just been sitting in the box for a week!

12. Member
    Have dumb question, is the interference all of you experiencing with the PS-21. Frankly, I have a PS-31 on my terrova no interference.

Help me out.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Have dumb question, is the interference all of you experiencing with the PS-21. Frankly, I have a PS-31 on my terrova no interference.

Help me out.
    Isnt that the panoptix? Believe everything in this thread is about the 2d, downview and/or side view transducers. Looks to me like the common denominator is the motor guide digital motor......

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11justin22 View Post
    Isnt that the panoptix? Believe everything in this thread is about the 2d, downview and/or side view transducers. Looks to me like the common denominator is the motor guide digital motor......
    No - Justin, as far as my issues, it's only with traditional Sonar in both Chirp and 200 MHz. I do not have interference in DownVU or SideVU.

TreeGuyUs - I have the GT52 Transducer on both units.

I changed a bunch today. I re-installed the first Garmin 93SV. That unit has the aluminum tape pain stakely installed with electrical tape on top of that,and then spiral wrap on top of that to insulate and shield the transducer wire. I coiled up the excess transducer cable, twisted it into a figure eight, then folded it to lay one coil on top of the other, and zipped tied it. This coil is outside the boat. Around the ram mount now. I then ran a fish tape from the back of the boat to the bow. I pulled dedicated power and ground for the Garmin unit at the bow. This PWR lead is no longer close to the trolling motor PWR leads (as far away as possible). I pulled the TM plug and wrapped the back side of it with electrical tape and then put aluminum tape over that to shield it. I removed the in-line fuse from the power lead that came with the Garmin and installed a new one back at the starter battery so that if it does blow, I can get to it without remove access plates, etc.. I connected these Garmin leads directly to the battery. I did not go through the breaker. I solder all connections and used shrink tubing over the solder joints. I test on the lake tomorrow.

15. Member
    Thanks confused on the threads am reading

16. Member
    Kevin have you talked to MG? I talked to them yesterday and he led me to believe I was going to have to live with it?? He said they don't recommend using a external transducer on their TM even though they know it's done everyday!( side & down vu) That kinda took the wind out of my sails!!

Im thinking about instead of continuing working on mine to try and put it on a few of my buddies boats to see if it will work at all! I know there's not any two boats the same but maybe the MK will be a different FR or something??

Is there any of the guys that's following this thread running MG with the 93 with no problems?? If so I guess I could rebuild mine being it's got some age on it but hate to sink that kinda money in a maybe...

17. Member
    Most people dont have any problems at all or they are minor and easy to live with - and the trolling motor mfg's know this. They also know that when people do have problems, that 99% of the time, its the trolling motors fault.

I have owned 4 different trolling motors (all different models of Minkota) on 4 different brands of sonar and never had more than minor issues with interference and usually nothing at all.

Still, a lot of people do have issues because this keeps coming up over and over.

People have a tendency to blame the sonar - especially when one brand on their boat happens to show it worse than another brand - but the interference is coming from the trolling motor. The thing is, on the boat right next to you, those same two brands could easily be reversed in which one shows it worse.

Unfortunately, if you are one of the ones having issues, none of that helps much. No one wants to toss out their new $$$$ trolling motor when you have no guarantee the next one you buy will be better or not.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH-BCB View Post
    No - Justin, as far as my issues, it's only with traditional Sonar in both Chirp and 200 MHz. I do not have interference in DownVU or SideVU.

TreeGuyUs - I have the GT52 Transducer on both units.

I changed a bunch today. I re-installed the first Garmin 93SV. That unit has the aluminum tape pain stakely installed with electrical tape on top of that,and then spiral wrap on top of that to insulate and shield the transducer wire. I coiled up the excess transducer cable, twisted it into a figure eight, then folded it to lay one coil on top of the other, and zipped tied it. This coil is outside the boat. Around the ram mount now. I then ran a fish tape from the back of the boat to the bow. I pulled dedicated power and ground for the Garmin unit at the bow. This PWR lead is no longer close to the trolling motor PWR leads (as far away as possible). I pulled the TM plug and wrapped the back side of it with electrical tape and then put aluminum tape over that to shield it. I removed the in-line fuse from the power lead that came with the Garmin and installed a new one back at the starter battery so that if it does blow, I can get to it without remove access plates, etc.. I connected these Garmin leads directly to the battery. I did not go through the breaker. I solder all connections and used shrink tubing over the solder joints. I test on the lake tomorrow.
    Bad wording on my part I guess....I was saying that it was with the 2d, downview, and side view all in one transducer (gt52) not the panoptix. Wasn't referring to which part of the sonar (2d,sonar or downview) was being used.....just the hardware. Interested to see if the figure 8 worked for you. I have tried everything else with no result. I'm going to pick up a ferrite cone this weekend some time and give it a try.

19. Member
    Yeah I reckon I'm going to have to live with it. I've done all I can think of so I'm going to wait Kevin out and see if he can fix his. In the meantime I may do some motor swapping and see what happens.

A new glitch showed up today...it just fades out like the lights are off and eventually shuts down!! I'll power it back up and it may stay on 15 min and do it again. Eventually it stayed on til I shut it down. I can't catch a break!! Lol

20. Member
    My hb used to do this.....you have an un regulated charging system? My hb didn't like high voltage and did this when the battery couldn't take any more charge and the voltage climbed above around 14v. My solution was a cdi rectifier/regulator that made it a regulated system as opposed to just a rectifier.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast