Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oli3665 View Post
    Sco, so did the BCB do anything for combating interference? I don't have one and I have a minn Kota maxxum and really want the 93 up front w/ the ducer going on the T/M. Also my trolling motor is one in which there is a click at each number.
    BCB is a Basscat boat. Provide your email and I'll send you pics. Can't get pics to load on this site.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catmantwo View Post
    Kevin, since you are running a BCB take a look at their power cable for graphs in their online store.
    Solves a lot of power problems, not too difficult to install.

http://www.basscatstore.com/powercableforgraphs.aspx
    I already have this set-up installed in my boat with the breaker.

3. Member
    Put the rig in the water yesterday. The interference has been reduced significantly, but not gone. I get a spike when the trolling motor is activated, and then sometimes I also get 'black snow' across the screen, though you can still see what is going on. The interference does not appear to effect the down imaging or the side imaging, only the traditional sonar. I changed it from Chirp to 200 MHz - this helped. My next approach is one of two options.

1 - change out the units. I have another Garmin 93SV that is the ClearVU version. The existing one that I am fighting is a DownVU version. I understand the only difference between the two is the in the ClearVU version, Garmin relocated the imaging crystal to get around a Lowance Patent. Thought that since interference is so unpredictable that it may be different from one unit to another.

2 - run a shielded twisted pair along the port side of the boat. This way, the power to the fishfinder would be on the opposite side of the boat from the trolling motor.

What do you think? I'm running out of options
    Thanks!
    Kevin
    Last edited by KevinH-BCB; 01-30-2017 at 07:38 AM.

4. Member
    Check your owners manual for settings on Noise rejection. There are a couple of different ones available on the 7600 series, but I dont know about your model for sure.

Capture.JPG
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    Kevin, the power to your graphs should already be on the starboard side of your Basscat, that is the way they are built. Look under your starboard (drivers) side locker, there will see two wires that run up (in places) thru a tube. You may have that circuit breaker already (std) on a newer boat, but the graph wire kit is extra - goes directly to the graphs and not through the console wiring harness which is standard. They are also "tinned" and a larger diameter.
    The trolling motor wires (as well as the Trolling motor) should be on the port side in your boat, which is also standard in a bass cat.
    Last edited by catmantwo; 01-29-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Check your owners manual for settings on Noise rejection. There are a couple of different ones available on the 7600 series, but I dont know about your model for sure.

I have tried this and tried multiple settings and combinations with some better than others, but not gone.

7. Member
    Catmantwo - I realize that the power feeds run up the starboard or right side. My question is, what are the wires going up on the port or left side of the boat for? If I run a new set of wires up the port side to feed this graph, I want to know what is already there on that side of the boat and will it potentially create interference too.

Kevin, the power to your graphs should already be on the starboard side of your Basscat, that is the way they are built. Look under your starboard (drivers) side locker, there will see two wires that run up (in places) thru a tube. You may have that circuit breaker already (std) on a newer boat, but the graph wire kit is extra - goes directly to the graphs and not through the console wiring harness which is standard. They are also "tinned" and a larger diameter.
    The trolling motor wires (as well as the Trolling motor) should be on the port side in your boat, which is also standard in a bass cat.

8. Member
    Port side will have a pair of 6 gauge wires that are used to power the trolling motor.
    If you have the optional lights in the gunnel (flip on or push buttons), there may be power for them.

9. Member
    These wires on the port side are more like 16-18 gauge wires. The trolling motor 6 gauge wires run on the starboard side in my boat.
    I wish you were correct. I would love if the trolling motor wires were run by themselves on the port side. I was thinking about doing that, but it would be a real pain running new 6 gauge wires on the port side. I ran a fish tape from the inside of the rod locker up to where the trolling motor plugs in. Then I ran the fish tape from the access cover next to the passenger seat to the rod locker. I have yet to be successful in running the fish tape from the transom to the access hole. Getting the fish tape in the channel opening at the transom is a trick with the tank there. I tried to run the fish tape from the access hole back as well but no luck. I'll try again when I have help. I can't be at both ends at the same time :-)

Port side will have a pair of 6 gauge wires that are used to power the trolling motor.
    If you have the optional lights in the gunnel (flip on or push buttons), there may be power for them.

10. Member
    Must be a Margay, I had a '12 and forgot the tank was stuck in the rear port side. You may be able to have better access if you remove the "seat pan" and go between the livewell and gas tank with the 6 gauge for the TM wire, rather than go around the gas tank 90 degree bend. (should be 6 or 8 screws holding the pan in place).

I take that back, just looked at my old pics and the Margay does not have the standard seat pan - it looks like it is molded into the rear deck.
    You still may be able to run the wires infront of the gas tank between the live well rather than around the rear of the tank. there was more access room there. Mine had a 36 volt MG as well a a power pole and still had better access room in the rear than my P2 does. (former MLF boat).
    Last edited by catmantwo; 01-30-2017 at 06:58 PM.

11. Member
    KevinH, I am not familiar with that boat but I have had a good bit of success from tying a small rag or soft foam to a string. stuff the rag and as much string as you can get into the channel and send it on it's way with a blast of air from a compressor. Be sureto ecure the other end of the string to something so you don't loose it.

12. Member
    catmantwo - I have a 2016 Bass Cat Boat Cougar Advantage Elite.

13. Member
    Shelfish - I just need another person to assist me. I can't be at the access by the passenger seat and at the back of the transom at the same time to grab the end of the fish tape, or to listen as it hits the inside of the boat to figure out where it is. :-) The way the channel is built into this boat, only in some sections, it would be difficult to get your idea to work - though I appreciate the suggestion! Thinking outside the box - I like it!

Find a wire that runs through there, disconnect it and tie a string to it, pull the wire out. Tie/tape the wire you pulled out and the new wire to the string and pull them all back thru.
    Or go straight down the middle of the boat in between the stringers. Use the drains as access.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

15. Member
    Kevin
    I have had 6 cats since 06 (sabre,p4,cougar FTD, margay, Eyra and P2). They all had TM wiring on port side (Margay questionable - never did any updates on it).
    The only thing I can think of that would influence BCB running the TM wires on the starboard side would be the 26/10 gal gas tank setup. My ERYA had that setup, but the TM wiring was still on the port side. Also never heard of an advantage package 20 ft model with a 75lb MG, always seen them with an 82 - I've seen the 75 on the smaller boats (P2,Sabre,Margay). Sorry for making all those assumptions.

It does open up the option of removing the seat pan to to running the TM wiring on the port side if the blockage still exists when you get help with the fish tape.

You may want to test running power straight to the battery (rather than the existing harness which ties into the terminal block) to see if that helps before moving the TM power. A quick way to test that would be to connect direct to the battery, out the rear hatch and run the wires above the deck to the front unit. If it clears up, then its probably power supply related, if it's still there it's most likely TM related.

(If you have a spare 12 volt battery you have access to, you could use that above deck to completely isolate the power as well).
    Last edited by catmantwo; 01-31-2017 at 12:27 PM.

16. Member

I stand corrected

My TM wires run down the center of the boat. From the plug, they head towards the starboard side of the boat but come out in the center of the bilge, so they must run along the keel on the inside.
    I connected my other Garmin 93SV with the ClearVU transducer. No interference. I mounted the ClearVU transducer - fine. As soon as I run the extra cable down inside the boat, I get the interference back. If I get home when there is still light, I'll pull the transducer wire back out of the boat and try it again. I'm ready to yank this POS Motor Guide Digital TM off and take a sledge hammer to it!!! I'd hang that damn engineer that came up with this design and did not consider the ramifications to boaters and the other electronics they run. I can say this since I am an Engineer.

17. Member
    Probably wasn't the engineers fault, most likely the accountant (lol).

18. Member
    Kevin I'm experiencing a lot of interference on my MG. I've done most of everything you've done without success. Would you recommend bringing mine to shop and getting that internal ground?

19. Member
    Parker - I would. This one change has gained me the most. At least after I had the internal ground installed on mine, though I still get interference, I get a clear enough picture to see what is going on. Unless your MG is still under warranty, like mine, I would recommend that you do it yourself. It is super easy. I'm assuming that you have the same unit as I, your motor casing is metal, shaft, and head is all metal. If this is the case, all you have to do is remove the screws holding the head cover on. Remove the ground wires' wire crimp (carefully - these are hard to find replacements that big). Then add a 18 gauge or bigger wire from the existing ground wires. Re-install the wire crimp. Install an eye on the other end of this short additional ground wire and remove one of the internal small screws inside the head to install the extra ground wire with eye to the casing screw. It took the guy at the shop about 20 minutes. It took that long only because we were 'shooting the breeze' :-).

Quote Originally Posted by C Parker View Post
    Kevin I'm experiencing a lot of interference on my MG. I've done most of everything you've done without success. Would you recommend bringing mine to shop and getting that internal ground?

20. Member

Next trials

Guys, I think the next steps are as follows for me - more experiments:

1. I am going to remove the excess transducer wire from inside the boat. I am thinking that when I insert the excess wire inside the boat, the wire is gathering around the TM wires. I will coil it up on top of the deck temporarily for testing purposes. Ck for interference.
    2. If No. 1 works, then I am going to lay it out along the gunnel on the starboard side, since I now know that the TM wires are running down the center of the boat. The TM plug is on the left or port side of my boat so I am trying to stay away from that plug and wiring to that plug.
    3. If No. 1 & 2 works, then I am going to run a fish tape up the right side and rig the excess transducer wire along the starboard gunnel. I think that I am going to tape up the backside of the TM plug and then put aluminum tape on it as well for additional shielding. Don't think that this is my issue, but I figured that it could not hurt too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast