New Skeeter owner question

Well I sold my Viper Coral and just purchased a 2010 FX 21. The boat seems to be in great shape and the 250 sho had the power head replaced and was broken in by the dealer I got it from. I have 2 years of YES which makes me feel good. I've read all the making oil stuff and this is my first Yamaha so I'm kinda of nervous about the outboard. Now about my question. I have a bird 987c si at the helm and a 798c si flush mounted on the bow. The 987 fires right up and the gps locks in quick with no problems. The bow unit says it is an external gps unit. I assume that means it has to be connected to the gps antenna mounted on the back of the boat. The bow unit when it comes up has no gps screens whatsoever. When I go to the option screen it says gps not connected. I've read that maybe the gps cable connections are not good. How do I get the unit out of the factory bow panel to check the wires? I can pull the unit up a little but I'm afraid to force it up and out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Banned
    You have to unscrew the bow panel. Mostlikely the unit has a bracket on the back side and is secured to the panel so don't pull on the unit.

3. Member
    Thanks! That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I appreciate the help.