Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What have you hit?

What have you hit with your boat and what kind of damage has it done? And what have you hit that didn't do any damage but should have?

2. Member
    Hit a duck at nite once, hit a bouy once at nite , damaged the duck, hit a whale while on board the USS IWO JIMA at nite no report on whale.

OMG dkibat thank you for that reply you made my night you are to funny

Quote Originally Posted by dkibat View Post
    no report on whale.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by dkibat View Post
    Hit a duck at nite once, hit a bouy once at nite , damaged the duck, hit a whale while on board the USS IWO JIMA at nite no report on whale.
    What class of vessel is the Iwo Jima?

6. Member
    I hit a 16' sweet gum log at about 35-40 mph. Tore the engine off completely,it's still on the bottom of Kerr Lake. The JP was bolted with four fine thread bolts with brass nuts,all of the nuts stripped out from the impact. I lost the engine,plate,power pole and bracket,steering ram and the posts on the battery. The only damage to the boat was two small round stress cracks where the steering hose elbows touched the top of the transome. I re powered and still use the boat.It wasn't a violent crash at all,no more than running over a boat wake. The boat continued on course and gently settled down in the water. It did take a few minutes to get my nerves settled down.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    What class of vessel is the Iwo Jima?
    LPH2 Helicopter carrier 68-72 Viet Nam Marine support medical and supply with troop reinforcement's. Used to live in Catoosa for 9 yrs left in 98 worked at Graham suppling oil bottles for Sun Refinery

8. Member
    Hit a floater on KY Lake in my old aluminum boat at about 45mph, really didn't even notice it. Fished for 4 hours, and before realizing the boat was sinking. The entire bilge was full of water, over the batteries. It put a 24" crack in the hull, along one of the rises in the hull. Unrepairable, boat was totaled by progressive.

Boy the Iwo sucked!

I have never thought so many toilets could work in reverse anywhere...

...oh the smells!
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XpressJeff View Post
    Boy the Iwo sucked!

I have never thought so many toilets could work in reverse anywhere...

...oh the smells!
    worked good when we were on it what year was you their.

11. Member
    Hit something, stump or rock, pretty low speed. Bent and took a chip out of the bottom of the skeg. arrgh !

Worked terrible in 1972!

I as a Grunt then and was in aft troop berthing.
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

13. Member

Iwo Jima

Quote Originally Posted by XpressJeff View Post
    Worked terrible in 1972!

I as a Grunt then and was in aft troop berthing.
    Wan't on it in 72 transferred because it was going to east coast, now not proud of what we done to the grunts 68-71 while off Nam, but we had quite a bit of problems with the country grunts, they would drop things on us when we were going down ladders in their quarters to check equipment, lock the hatches so we could not get out and just mostly acted like ass's but we had a few friends among them, so we would lock the hatch's on their quarters at nite, turn off phone's and turn up the heat sorta slow cook them, then when we crossed the equater we beat them good with fire hoses soaked in salt water and made them crawl in garbage, also some other things not being mentioned. As i said i am not proud of what we done it was very stupid and if i could i would personally apologize to them, they have given us our freedom and sacrificed so much and still do today it's amazing what young people do that is truly stupid, I salute all who have served and sacrificed so much

14. Member
    Hit a submerged tree in Potapo Creek, McGee Creek Reservoir in OK. Took out lower unit.
    Now, it's floaters in the Kings River at night. So far, been lucky. No damage.

Hit a swallow with the front seat post, didn't appreciate the "wet" stuff that splattered on me. Also hit a small Kokanee, it jumped out of the water and under the front of the boat, heard and felt the thump.
    Mountain Home ChamP 181

16. Member
    Got a brand new Nitro Z7 as my first real boat purchase and cranked the lower end off a rock coming out of a shallow bay. 4th time out using it and lost all of July while it was in the shop getting repaired. They had to replace the stainless prop, prop shaft, gear housing unit, and everything else for about $6,000 which luckily was covered by insurance. Oops.

A couple 20+ pound carp ( oh crap moment looking vigerously for diver flags, but none and huge air bladders floated up), mud, sand, quite possibly 3 different diver style ducks ( may have made it), I have been fortunate.

18. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    I wish I knew..............26' of water..............saw the current flowing around whatever it was...........checked up but too late............boom..........bottom half of lower unit goes flying
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

19. Member
    Back in early 80's . 1st boat I owned 15 ft flat monark crappie boat with a Johnson 35 seahorse Long shank running a local lake I knew well and don't know what I hit but when I got shut down and looked back the cowl was gone ! Scared the crap out of me . When I got up to go check the rest of the damage the cowl was on the floor right behind my seat . Picked up the motor waiting to see no lower unit but everything was in tact . Put the cowl back on and went about my business

20. Member
    Hit a roughly 30ft. Log on big bear lake in Alabama. It was night I was running around 30mph. I saw it in just enough time to turn my bass tracker to glance off it and spin the boat out. Luckily just a small dent. Same boat on upper bear Creek I was running In to a narrow Creek. Run my boat aground on a bluff. Had been through there a hundred times. I warch the water level now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast