Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hit an alligator at dusk few years back. Didn't see it, but felt a thump and the back got loose. Looked behind me and saw a tail thrashing around. Realized it was wedged between boat and motor. Settled off of plane, got up to see it and it was gone. No damage to my boat. Waited a few minutes to see if the gator would show itself, but no. I was only doing about 35/40 mph. My guesstimate that it was only a 5 or 6 ft'er.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Dkibat:

You should feel bad!

That Shellback ceremony was really quite embarrassing and humiliating.

It's kinda like surviving cancer, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. As a young jarhead I survived worse! We honestly believed we were 10 foot tall and bulletproof then anyway!
    Last edited by XpressJeff; 02-04-2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

3. Member
    LOL While backing in and rushing I hit something under water. Damaged a never wet prop, broke both clamp brackets, broke pivot bracket, bent pivot shaft and prop shaft. Had to tie the motor on with straps to get home.
    Last edited by Oldone; 02-05-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XpressJeff View Post
    Dkibat:

You should feel bad!

That Shellback ceremony was really quite embarrassing and humiliating.

It's kinda like surviving cancer, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. As a young jarhead I survived worse! We honestly believed we were 10 foot tall and bulletproof then anyway!
    Yes those were some crazy times glad you served and now enjoying life. I salute you.

5. Member
    I was fishing a saltwater Creek with a friend for rids, we had the big motor down and he hit a crab pot with the skeg while using the trolling motor in the front. It sent him overboard.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    I was fishing a saltwater Creek with a friend for rids, we had the big motor down and he hit a crab pot with the skeg while using the trolling motor in the front. It sent him overboard.
    I've been known to hit a crab pot too.
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPro Admin View Post
    I've been known to hit a crab pot too.
    wow! ive hit the buoy line a time or two, but cant say i've ever seen that one.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auam72 View Post
    Hit something, stump or rock, pretty low speed. Bent and took a chip out of the bottom of the skeg. arrgh !
    Did this baking up in some shallow water once. :(

I've hit rocks on three occasions and each time it broke the skeg and damaged the prop. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

i was in the Niantic area ct. doing a drift and there where some pilings under water and hit one, no damage but scared the crap out of me . then on champlain i was near the launch near shore and decided to use the motor to turn around....and bam i hit some rocks and took a nice chunk from my skeg. new skeg guard on now. boating is such fun.

11. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Hit a gravel bar running about 55 mph in my Charger. Shut me down completely. Luckily damage to my prop was the only thing that happened.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

12. Member
    Buddy hit a 10ft+ gator with the trolling motor.
    He strolled to the back until all the splashing was over.

Stumps in the Santee Cooper, walk around the parking lot after a tournament and most skegs have chunks missing. We hit 2 stumps back to back each one took a bite out of the skeg.

13. Member
    4 railroad ties wired together p, slightly submerged in the Mississippi River. Kicked motor up no damage

14. Member
    My dad hit a submerged car in the river when I was younger. Turned out it was stolen, and dumped off of the bridge...
    2013 Xpress H20B
    Yamaha F115LA

Low speed trolling with outboard and my boat rocked uip and over a submerged stump. That was odd but no damage.

High speed in 18' of water and hit a branch that was attached to a submerged tree, still rooted. Scared the shit out of me but no damage. Who knew there where rooted trees in 18' water.

Fishing a flooded Grand Lake in Oklahoma years ago, Running across the lake I caught a glimpse of something breaking the surface about 100 yards ahead of me. Managed to shut down and coast alongside a large wood picnic table floating upright! No telling the damage that would have caused. I tied on to it and towed it about a mile to shore!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

17. Member
    I've lost 2 lower units to stumps, 2 props to rocks and the worst was this spring on the Mississippi I hit a nearly submerged floater loosing the prop, bending the shaft and inflicting a 6"x24" gouge in my hull. It almost ejected me from the boat which probably been better than bouncing off the steering wheel and both gunnels.

Gators, Coots, Ducks, logs, sand bars........ When you are in shallow Florida water, you never know what you might hit.....LOL
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

19. Member
    Running our river early dawn nailed a coast guard buoy in the channel. I never realized just how big those are. And the massive cable a anchors them down. Sheared my skeg off clean and knocked a good size hole in the port side. Note to self wait till safe light to run.

Years ago, lake Fork with my father in his boat, large waves, idling around, the waves calmed down, and the boat stopped and was raised up on a treetop. Took some maneuvering in that old 492VS Ranger.

For me and my boat, brand new prop, first time out, decided to go up the river at lake Conroe. Hit a stump, darn near tore off the diffuser ring on the new prop... A Turning Point 4-blade... I really liked that prop...
    Also on that same day, when I got back to the truck, and some guy's wife had backed into my trailer, breaking the tail light...

Not a bad day overall...
    Last edited by rab62184; 05-16-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Robert "Red" Barron
    2011 Tracker Pro Guide V-175WT
    2010 Mercury Optimax 115
    http://www.givin-er.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast