Old Champion on brochure

Got my 2017 Yamamoto printed brochure a few days ago, picture on front page of Gary ? in a Champ.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    That looks like a 201 FNS due to the hand rails extending forward of the consoles.

Attached Images Attached Images

I had the long rails on one of my 184 DCR's.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Nice old pic. Anyone know what year that boat and motor is? I've seen an older Champion in my area with an Evinrude that looks identical, curious what year 'Rude that is.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Neat...I didn't know Gary had ever run a Champ.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep he sure did before he was in a Legend. I'm thinking that's between an 84 and an 86 based on the decals on the rude and the cowl shape

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Looks like 84-86 were fns's according to NADA boats the 201DC came out in 1986. Motor is either a 150 or 175 but BASS limit was 150 in those days. After 86 OMC had air vents on the side of the cowls.

8. Member
    I thought I saw Derek Yamamoto selling a Champion on the internet somwhere, was a couple of years ago ?
    it may have been a 201 type series in yellow and black on white, maybe Gary had the same at one .
    About 8 years ago at Lake Powell I saw someone leaving the launch ramp with a Champion, the truck had a big Yamamoto sign on it, when I got to Yamamotos' facility to sign for dealership and tour the facility, I had met a lady working there, I think her name was Barbara, she said it was her husband Ron, and I should have asked had him to take me fishing. nice people at GYCB