Digital depth finder........

I have two graphs on my boat, a Garmin 536S at the dash and a Lowrance 5HDX up front, both work great however when the original owner mounted the Garmin transducer he mounted it outside the transom. This isn't a problem until I get to 48-50 mph then it loses signal. I don't want to remount the transducer but I do want to know depth as I'm running. I've been thinking about mounting a small Hawkeye digital unit in the dash and glassing in the transducer, has anyone had any experience with these units, good / bad? If they work it's exactly the size I looking for.

2. Member
    Any holes in the transom are a bad idea plus of course you lose the sounder at speed. Many others and I have moved the transducer into the hull where it works just fine. Then you can glass over the holes where it used to be mounted.

3. Member
    [QUOTE=billnorman1;8020777]Any holes in the transom are a bad idea plus of course you lose the sounder at speed. Many others and I have moved the transducer into the hull where it works just fine. Then you can glass over the holes where it used to be mounted.[/QU
    You're right, the previous owner shouldn't have mounted it outside the transom, he did a good job but I'm going to remove it and glass it in.............this will save money plus the Garmin unit I have works great....(It's dated)...... but it does everything I want.

4. Member
    So you're going 50+ MPH and, suddenly, the transducer on the transom shows you in less than a foot of water. Too late at that point and any time while on plane.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    So you're going 50+ MPH and, suddenly, the transducer on the transom shows you in less than a foot of water. Too late at that point and any time while on plane.
    My goal is to know water depth at whatever speed.......

6. Member
    If you glass it into the bilge area you still may not get readings at more than 50 mph. Many boats lose signal around 50 mph even with it glassed in. All depends on hull design, trim angle, expertise at installation, etc. Of course with it in the bilge you are safer if you fish a lot of stumps.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    Very unlikely it will read above 50 anywhere you put the ducer.

8. Member
    I think mine does, but my boat only does about 55 or 56 GPS. There are articles on how to mount it, If you silicone it in and build a dam around it, let some water fill the dam, if it works, then that's were to epoxy it in, you need to get it on a good place and get all the bubbles out from under it when you epoxy it permanently.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98skeeter202 View Post
    Very unlikely it will read above 50 anywhere you put the ducer.
    My last boat ready accurate to 65 GPS , the one I have now will also once I'm done......btw , my original post was asking about the quality of the Hawkeye depth finder.........which seems to be a mute point

Old school ------ every boat I have owned since the 80's I installed a Zercom. Real time depths up to 99 mph. Only place I had to install a new GPS unit this past summer was on the right side of the windshield --- meaning I had to remove the Zercom. I still don't like running WOT without the Zercom

11. Member
    Update.......I remounted my skimmer style transducer inside the bilge area, glassing it in just over the center of the pad. My boat runs around 72mph/gps and so far this year Ive ran it at 68 and I haven't lost the bottom yet!
    Last edited by Thermodude; 02-13-2017 at 05:32 AM.