Playing around with a couple pitching reels

I'm trying to settle on a pitching reel for this year.In the past I just used my Curado e7's. I recently got a Shimano Met 100hg as well as a Daiwa SV103. I've only been able to compare them pitching in the house.Same rod/line and lure set-up. I'm no expert at pitching but good enough to make a determination.
    I find the Met pitches a little better/further and is a little smoother(as a $400+reel should be) The Daiwa defiantly palms better and is more comfortable to use.
    For these reasons I am thinking about giving the Shimano Scorpion 71xg a try. I figure it may be the best of both worlds at 2/3 to 1/2 the price.I'm certain it palms nice and while not as refined as the Met should preform well pitching lighter jigs.
    Is there a better option out there you guys like before I pull the trigger on the Scorpion or Curado 71?
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 01-13-2017 at 02:05 PM.

2. Member
    I'd suggest a zillion SV TW.

3. Member
    Lew's Tournament Pro G Speed Spool

Also give a look at the Tournament Pro G Speed Spool by Lew's. This is one of the better reels on the market if you ask me. It's very "palmable" which is hard to find in some reels. You want something that is comfortable when flipping/pitching all day long, and this reel offers that. From it's super smooth retrieve to it's strong drag, you can't go wrong with the Tournament Pro G Speed Spool.

4. Member
    I like the curado 70. I pitch all the time and have no problems.
    Contact me if you are looking for Thunderlures!

You could upgrade the spool and get some Hedghog AIR bearings for faster spooling on light baits.

Just some other options.

6. Member
    Thanks for the reply's. Just ordered the Scorpion.
    xranger77...would the HH BFS AIR bearings be the way to go for lighter pitching or are they for really finesse type of fishing like 1/16-1/8oz stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. Just ordered the Scorpion.
    xranger77...would the HH BFS AIR bearings be the way to go for lighter pitching or are they for really finesse type of fishing like 1/16-1/8oz stuff?
    The AIR are great for 3/8 and under. If you are staying light, I would go with the AIR, if you are 3/8+ you could go Boca Orange or HH ZR. Whatever you are comfortable with for brand.

I never run a stock reel personally. They all get a clean, tune and bearings.

8. Member
    Thanks for the tip.I pretty much run BOCA OS on all my Curado e7's so I anxious to get the Scorpion and throw the AIR BFS bearings in it to see how that preforms.Otherwise it may be on to try the Zillion SV TW

9. Member
    couple of others thoughts. first, I like the Metxg for pitching better then the HG and the handle of the XG is a must for me on any nice reel. On the 13met the XG handle is not only longer but the paddles are larger. Not quite E7 large but going in that direction. secondly, I do not think Mets need tuning. I have tuned mine but honestly the difference is small. So recently I had your decision to make. I ended up ordering a Met MGL. After checking with board sponsor, I had to order from Japan to find inventory. Shipped price was great. My father ended up ordering a Scorpion and MGL. His MGL was $110 more then the scorpion. If I was to upgrade bearings and handle on a Scorpion this would narrow the price difference to about $50. I'm going to fish the scorpion head to head with the MGL and see which I'd rather fish before I buy any further reels.

The palmability of the 70 appears better but likely it is heavier, not as smooth and slower on retrieve. A 70xg has the speed of a MetHg roughly. Spool size in the japan mgl and scorpion appears similar.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Banned
    Ive owned some of the best money can buy, and after my garage fire destroyed them, i went back to a reel that cost me well under $100! Went out and found a few discontinued BPS gold colored Carbonlites. I owned a few befoe also, that got burned up in the fire.
    These reels, with a set of Orange seals in them, can pitch light stuff head to head with the best out there!
    Now after saying that,.... I am told That Bass Pro Shops went back to the same manufacturer that manufactured the gold carbonlite when they came out with the new white colored carbonlite this year.(Doyo manufactures them) So I am going to try the new carbonlite 2.0 in a faster retrieve. That may be the only thing I have to gripe about the old gold carbonlite, is that the retrieve is not fast enough,(26 IPT). Also the drag could be a little stronger, even after installing carbontex drag washers, it is still a little light on the drag. But the new carbonlite 2.0 have a much stronger drag I am told.

11. Member
    davidsa,following your thread on TT.I would defiantly like to hear your thoughts on the Met mgl after you've had a chance to use it.Is the MGL the same physical size as the Met 13 ?

HH AIR bearings are on the way. If I don't care for the scorpion I can always get the Met mgl and use them for that or my current Met 13.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 01-14-2017 at 10:52 AM.

12. Member
    I think mgl the same body as 13met
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

13. Annoy At Your Own Risk! RodBusterWithAnAttitude's Avatar
    Aldebaran HG

14. Member
    The 70s are great little reels. I've used them for finesse fishing, as well as flipping 1oz tungsten.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

15. Banned
    I have a Scorpion 70XG, and I will tell you that the stock spool bearings in that reel are FAST! I have done nothing with this reel and it takes next to nothing to toss 1/4oz baits with it.

16. Member
    Does anyone use those Ardent flipping/pitching reels?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Does anyone use those Ardent flipping/pitching reels?
    Thats was may,question i was going to ask.They made to model for Denny Brauer,then they.Thinking along the line's a 500F and 700F model.

Ardent didn't have the best track record for reliability...and heavy as shit.

19. Member
    If Denny were still with Daiwa, he would still be flippin'/pitchin' TDXs!