Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Champion Clifs notes?

Hey guys, so I found myself looking at some boats and stumbled across a Champion that looks fantastic. But there's one problem...I know nothing about Champions. Can someone tell me what to look for (besides the typical compression/wood rot), also what to expect?

Vitals:
    2001 Champion 187
    2001 Yamaha VMAX 175 (was originally sold with a Mercury but it was bad, so the marina swapped it for a Yamaha prior to the previous sale)
    Dual console
    new carpet
    new seats
    newer hotfoot and Yamaha controls
    gauges work
    blinker trim
    HDS9 and HDS12 Gen2
    MK 80lb Fortrex
    Asking $12,500.

That seems like an impossible deal to me, but is it? I know very little about Champs.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I had a 1999 187. I loved it! If this one passes motor and other inspection, I think you will really enjoy it. Small enough to be nimble when fishing tight spots and yet takes big water extremely well. Champs are well known to have a great rough water ride.

3. Member
    That's what I've heard. Does that seem like a fair price, or too good to be true? It's a long ways away from me, so I'd be having someone close by inspect it, probably pay a shop to look it over first. I didn't know if those had a wood transom to worry about or anything. All the lakes around me are fairly small, so I don't really need a big boat (for now) but we have fished some rough stuff.

4. Banned
    Price is fair (not great, not horrible)

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My 187, as well as this one you are referencing, have wood in the build. However, as long as the wood, which is encapsulated in fiberglass at the factory, is properly sealed whenever a hole is drilled, there will be no problems. My 187 is still going strong!

6. Member
    I think the boat is priced fair with the nicer electronics it has. Don't be afraid to offer 10,500-11K you have to start somewhere (espically this time of year).

7. Member
    That's a great boat. The electronics and Fortrex bring the rig to a higher level price. If the transom checks out, don't be afraid of wood. Contrary to popular belief a leaking composite transom is as troublesome as a leaking wood transom.

8. Member
    Thanks, will do. Next step is finding someone who can look at it for me (it's 1300 miles away). I've contacted a couple of marinas for quotes to inspect it for me.

And yeah, between the basically new interior, and all the updated electonics/trolling motor, I thought it was priced well, wasn't sure how much lower I'd offer, so thanks for that.

The VMax's are solid motors.

Which particular V-Max 175 model is it.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
    Which particular V-Max 175 model is it.
    Doesn't say anything other than VMax 175. Found it on a facebook sale page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1513...51664574&rt=11

12. Pat Goff
    It's pretty easy,
    No boat of the same vintage and size will ride as good, or handle as good. Period. If ride and handling are not your priorities, then you need to look at something else.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    A bit further down in the comments on that boat ad, it says OX66.

Was thinking of the TRP but it was only offered in a 150 efi

15. Member
    Pat, ride and handling definitely matter. We get some rough lakes to fish on up here and I can't fit anything in my garage bigger than 19' most likely, so I'm looking for a good rough water boat and know Champ has the reputation of being the best. As for the motor, I don't know how I missed that it was an OX66, which seems to have a stellar reputation as well.

I did talk to the owner owner for a bit yesterday. Unfortunately he doesn't need to sell it so he's firm on the price. But given that the trolling motor and graphs are only about 3 years old and the motor is low on hours, I think I'm gonna be driving to TN soon.

16. Member
    I run a 99 187 elite with a 175 pro xs and couldn't be happier. It rides as well as any sub 20 footer and drives like a go kart. Check for frame rust on trailer especially if it has tube frame rails.
    Last edited by basssj; 01-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basssj View Post
    I run a 99 187 elite with a 175 pro design and couldn't be happier. It rides as well as any sub 20 footer and drives like a go kart. Check for frame rust on trailer especially if it has tube frame rails.
    Thanks for that. I will definitely ask him tomorrow about the trailer.
    Only thing I know I'm thinking about now is, will I need a new prop going from TN to CO (I'm pretty sure I will), and what prop will I need.

18. Member
    I'm currently turning a 25 tempest, at 5300 rpm, 62 mph. The boat has a lot more in it, I just haven't had time to play with the engine height, prop size.

Nothing wrong with an OX66 if the engine checks out. Decarb it and go through the 3 LP fuel pumps if needed.

20. Member
    So He actually took the time to do a video chat and go over everything in the boat. From what I could see everything looked spotless. I'm excited about this. Everything is checking out perfect so far. In about 2 weeks it looks like I'll be joining the Champion family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast