1989 Bass Tracker 1600TF Keel Work

So, this boat has obviously been used and enjoyed over the years but it has taken it's toll on the keel. I'd like to find out what's going to be the best approach to fix the keel, whether it be using one of those keel guards, or a more intense method. There doesn't appear to be any major holes that I can see however we know looks can be deceiving.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My ' 84 Ranger 370v has some scars on it's keel and I am interested to hear thoughts,too!

3. Banned
    Well it depends on how far you want to go with it.If it is only rash and doesn't have holes in it then a sand gel coat and a guard would probably be the ticket. If you feel it needs some more attention than that then it get a bit more complicated.Now if you find delamination holes etc.. you would be best to go in from the inside to fix it but that is a lot of work to do so.So instead you can remove the gelcoat around the effected area to bare glass and go back with a lay up of fresh glass with epoxy and once its feathered in to match the hull you would re gelcoat said area and then Id put a keel guard on to stop future incidents like this.

You definitely need to seal the exposed glass, or you will get moisture wicking into the laminate. Could sand, and simply use a pigmented gelcoat to restore the protective layer. May not hurt to put a layer of glass cloth on real severe areas.
    Marintex would be a good epoxy alternative for this, as it's not highly visible. Follow-up with a keel guard to prevent future damage.

Don't use epoxy then try to gelcoat over it.