Best battery charger

I knw this topic has come up before, but technology changes every 5 minutes. So, what is the "current " best on board battery charger out there? I have a NOCO 4 bank that I am happy with at 2 years, but the winter is not over yet. I want to put 5, 10 amp banks on board. and will need to add a charger, not sure which one. Heard good and bad about MK, and the others are not impressive by most accounts, as I see about a 3 yr life on all brands. Any ideas??

2. Member
    Noco Gen 4 has a 5 year warranty now.

3. Member
    A 3 year life on other brands? What does that mean? I had a Three Bank Dual Pro for 19 years in my bigger boat and I changed it out for a 4 bank Noco. I think the DualPro is probably better but not a bit of problem with either.

4. Member
    I spend a good deal of time on this forum. Here is what I take away:

It appears that the Dual Pro chargers have the best reputation for longevity, reliability, and very good customer service. As well, they are at times repairable when not functioning properly, where other brands are throw away. DP Sportmen's and Pro series will properly charge all of the popular brands of batteries used in a bass boat (including Odyssey). The MK PC series is also good, and will also properly charge the popular batteries, but there have been several threads lately on software issues with them. The Noco is not an approved charger for Odyssey, and there are posts here on their inability to properly charge a Northstar AGM.

If I had to replace my charger, the only choice for me right now would be DP. If MK gets the software glitch resolved, it would be a good second option. JMO.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    To be fair to MinnKota PC series chargers,, a characterization of them having a software glitch may be unearned.

Most but not all of the reports are traceable to user error not following their manual by using small gauge extension cords that result in too low of AC input voltage reaching the charger.

The software is reported to have been recently changed, but seems may not be because of an error glitch, but to prevent charger component damage by better management of the power handling for the uncommon instances resulting from some users not following the charger's extension cord requirements.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-12-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Well I really like my NOCO, and I realize there might be a differance, but I have no problems charging AGMs with my current NOCO. I will look into DP, I also believe that many complaints about charges are really misuse of the chargers. I use ONLY 12gs cords for power, and never have a problem, stay plugged in 24/7, and all batteries are fully charged when I roll. Thanks for all the input