After all these years (long)

It took me almost 11 year to make my 1000th post and hopefully it has some value to you. BBC and its membership throughout the years has been a lifesaver for me more than any of you will ever know.

As if I didn't have enough trouble with ALS,yesterday I started radiation treatments on a lesion identified as Basal Cell Carcinoma (skin cancer) on my left nostril. This is one of the most common type of cancer and there is a good chance it is curable. The best option is surgery but living in a hospital puts me at a greater risk for infection. My case is mild but I still have a nice divot on my nose as a reminder. In severe cases, people have to go thru reconstructive surgery to rebuild the tissues that were removed. I have not been in direct sunlight for three years so this was a surprise to me.. As it turns out, UCSF Medical Center states that skin cancer can take 20 years or longer to reveal itself (Linked below). Remember that time you got sunburned years ago and were miserable for a day or two? We’ve all experienced it at least once before and that's all it takes. It sneaks up on you when you least expect it and it doesn’t matter what time of the year it is.

If you spend a lot of time outside, even when it’s overcast, try to protect yourself from over exposure. Sunblock with a minimum of 15 SPF is a good start and keep in mind that your nose, ears and lips are the most common areas for skin cancer to grow. Reapply sunblock every 2 hours or sooner if sweating. For my friends in the bass fishing community, wearing a Buff, long sleeve shirts and pants is a great idea. Cover up as best you can. You might get hot at times but I would imagine you would prefer it over having part of your face surgically removed. If you need more motivation, check out Google images of skin cancer on the face. It’s a real eye opener.

It’s a good idea to educate yourself on this because we all are susceptible to the condition. Knowing what to look for is key to catching it early, successfully treating it, and minimizing damage. Hopefully the next time you hit the water you'll remember to use that sunblock. Oh, and do me a favor? Set the hook on one for me!

Here is one of many websites if you would like to know more.

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education...er_prevention/

I may have ALS but ALS does NOT have me.
    Contribute to the Ron Miller Nursing Scholarship Endowment Fund
    http://www.excelsior.edu/web/donors/...endowment-fund

You've been through a lot. Sorry to hear you're dealing with BCC. I hope they cure you of it. I have a close buddy with Melanoma. He's had it for about 8 years now. He's 68 yrs old and hanging tough. I hope and pray for you that you do the same. Have faith my friend.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 01-11-2017 at 11:41 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    I completely agree with your recommendations Ron and hope all turns out well for you. Thanks for not stating a size limit on the next one I set the hook on, more than likely it'll be a dink

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    You've been through a lot. Sorry to hear you're dealing with BCC. I hope they cure you of it. I have a close buddy with Melanoma. He's had it for about 8 years now. He's 68 yrs old and hanging tough. I hope and pray for you that you do the same. Have faith my friend.
    Thank you. If the radiation doesn't get it done I'll have the Mohs surgery done to finish the job. for your buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    I completely agree with your recommendations Ron and hope all turns out well for you. Thanks for not stating a size limit on the next one I set the hook on, more than likely it'll be a dink
    Mark, If it's a dink, it would be exactly like I was standing there with the rod in my own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by FASSBASS View Post
    Thank you. If the radiation doesn't get it done I'll have the Mohs surgery done to finish the job. for your buddy.
    Thanks for the prayers for my buddy and I'll be praying for you too!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    Lifting...good luck and tight lines

8. Member
    Good luck.......

9. Member
    Hope all goes well with the new issue. Keep contributing, I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Ron, you are correct that sometimes it takes years to show up.

I started boating in the 50's, only the last 10 years I have used sun blocks. Last year two surgeries to remove skin cancer and 3 treatments with the liquid nitrogen.

Hoping the best for you.

Thanks for the reminder.
    for you, I think you've been through enough
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Congrats on the 1,000 posts Ron. You have contagious spirit we all could learn from! Best of luck on the basil cell. Hopefully they can knock it out w/o surgery.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

13. Member
    Keep fighting the good fight!

14. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Thanks for the 1K reminder, Ron. I know I'm lax in the sun protection department and need to make some changes there.

Best to you and your med team in beating your latest challenge.
    Who controls John Gill?

15. Member
    Good to hear from you again Ron!!

keep it up man!!!

Congratulations on your 1000th post Ron. Here's hoping they get that lesion sorted out quickly.

Thank you Ron, your tireless dedication to this sight and peoples health is truly a great inspiration for all of us
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus