It took me almost 11 year to make my 1000th post and hopefully it has some value to you. BBC and its membership throughout the years has been a lifesaver for me more than any of you will ever know.

As if I didn't have enough trouble with ALS,yesterday I started radiation treatments on a lesion identified as Basal Cell Carcinoma (skin cancer) on my left nostril. This is one of the most common type of cancer and there is a good chance it is curable. The best option is surgery but living in a hospital puts me at a greater risk for infection. My case is mild but I still have a nice divot on my nose as a reminder. In severe cases, people have to go thru reconstructive surgery to rebuild the tissues that were removed. I have not been in direct sunlight for three years so this was a surprise to me.. As it turns out, UCSF Medical Center states that skin cancer can take 20 years or longer to reveal itself (Linked below). Remember that time you got sunburned years ago and were miserable for a day or two? We’ve all experienced it at least once before and that's all it takes. It sneaks up on you when you least expect it and it doesn’t matter what time of the year it is.

If you spend a lot of time outside, even when it’s overcast, try to protect yourself from over exposure. Sunblock with a minimum of 15 SPF is a good start and keep in mind that your nose, ears and lips are the most common areas for skin cancer to grow. Reapply sunblock every 2 hours or sooner if sweating. For my friends in the bass fishing community, wearing a Buff, long sleeve shirts and pants is a great idea. Cover up as best you can. You might get hot at times but I would imagine you would prefer it over having part of your face surgically removed. If you need more motivation, check out Google images of skin cancer on the face. It’s a real eye opener.

It’s a good idea to educate yourself on this because we all are susceptible to the condition. Knowing what to look for is key to catching it early, successfully treating it, and minimizing damage. Hopefully the next time you hit the water you'll remember to use that sunblock. Oh, and do me a favor? Set the hook on one for me!

Here is one of many websites if you would like to know more.

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education...er_prevention/