Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda on Phoenix?

Does anyone have an experience with a Honda 250 on a 721 or 920 Phoenix. The durability of the Honda interests me, but the additional weight compared to other motors concerns me as the Phoenix's are a little low on the back end.

2. Member
    Probably wont get much because if I remember right Phoenix dont rig with Honda you have to buy the boat then take it to a Honda dealer. Unless something changed.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Not sure about rigging, however I talked with a guy on the lake with 921 / 250 Honda. He loved the rig and performance, but he wasn't looking for speed, just reliability. Maintenance was easy with parts/ filters at Honda car dealer. Only concern he had, it sat a little lower in rear since motor 100 lbs heavier.

EB

4. Member
    lithium battery's should lighten the load to offset the motor weight.

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I ran a 721 with a Honda 225. It ran 68ish. With the 921 and a Honda 250 and duel poles ran the same speed. This was with 2 guys.

The Honda weights about the same as a SHO, 95 Lbs heavier than the Optimax.

No issue on with boat with hole shot.

Phoenix won't rig it for you but Fredricks marine can get it done for you.

6. Member
    I took a guided trip and he had a honda on his ranger and that was the quietest motor I ever heard ! He said it was the most reliable he's ever had as well
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    I ran a 721 with a Honda 225. It ran 68ish. With the 921 and a Honda 250 and duel poles ran the same speed. This was with 2 guys.

The Honda weights about the same as a SHO, 95 Lbs heavier than the Optimax.

No issue on with boat with hole shot.

Phoenix won't rig it for you but Fredricks marine can get it done for you.
    I thought the SHO weighed 505 lbs...like the Merc Opitmax..?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

If I remember correctly Charlie Ingram from Fishing U had a early 721 with a Honda 250 and he stated he could get 71 out of the boat.

9. Member
    Phoenix will rig for a Honda but will not ship with motor. They told me I could by the rigged like that then carry it to a Honda dealer. Didn't want to do that. The boat has to go a Honda dealer. When I bought 3 years ago I checked. The only Phoenix dealer at the time that carried Honda also was in Alabama.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I thought the SHO weighed 505 lbs...like the Merc Opitmax..?

Lightweight Design
    Yamaha engineers redesigned the cowling, engine bracket and lower engine pan, shaving every ounce of weight, without compromising durability. As a result, the V MAX SHO® is just 505 pounds (dry weight)—a good 34 pounds lighter than previous two stroke V MAX designs.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I just saw Paul Elias is running a Basscat with a Honda on it this year. I guess Honda is trying to get a leg in the bass boat market. Maybe Phoenix rigging them isn't far behind.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

I doubt you see Phoenix putting Hondas on boats. There needs to be money on the back end and the demand for them to work with Honda. I dont think its there, and I dont think its going to get there either.

Weight wise...they are basically the same a 250 Verado Pro.

The SHO is about 100lbs lighter by the book.

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Lightweight Design
    Yamaha engineers redesigned the cowling, engine bracket and lower engine pan, shaving every ounce of weight, without compromising durability. As a result, the V MAX SHO® is just 505 pounds (dry weight)—a good 34 pounds lighter than previous two stroke V MAX designs.
    Thought that was right...thanks.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    Sho weight is the same as 250 xs they are both 505 lbs

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    I just saw Paul Elias is running a Basscat with a Honda on it this year. I guess Honda is trying to get a leg in the bass boat market. Maybe Phoenix rigging them isn't far behind.
    Paul has run a Triton with a Honda for a few years now, just went to BCB this year.

So I was wrong, there is 95 difference between Honda and the other two. Seemed like the SHO was much more when they first came out.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Paul has run a Triton with a Honda for a few years now, just went to BCB this year.

So I was wrong, there is 95 difference between Honda and the other two. Seemed like the SHO was much more when they first came out.
    Sho has always been right at the 506 pound mark. The saltwater version is more, I think its around 560 pounds but that is the mount weights more for the saltwater version.

Arch Cornett, who guides on G-ville and Wheeler and putting 400 + hrs a year on the motor, has been running a Honda on his 721. He usually hangs out (or was)at D&D Marine in Athens Thurs thru Sat. I asked him about the Honda and he seemed to really like it. You might pop across the river (maybe call first to make sure he's there) and visit with him.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing it don't belong in a fruit salad.

18. Banned
    Honda = Tohatsu

19. Member
    You will love the Phoenix but always think resale also. How many guys want a Honda ?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    You will love the Phoenix but always think resale also. How many guys want a Honda ?
    On a used rig, I'd personally have more peace of mind buying a used boat with a Honda hanging on the back for reliability alone. And I run a Mercury

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast