Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How often should I service the engine?

I have had my 2009 ETEC for about 3 years now. Never done anything to it and I have no idea if the previous owner ever serviced it either. No problems I know of... runs great... however I fish in a lot of grass areas and wonder if I should have the water pump cleaned or replaced on any type of schedule.

Any thoughts on that?

Greg

2. Member
    Download a manual for it and FOLLOW IT!

3. Member
    I had an E Tec on my Triton so I can speak somewhat from experience. Take it to whomever services the engine and have them remove and send the injectors to be cleaned and calibrated. If one is clogged, it will cause that cylinder to lean out and result in serious damage (engine failure). If memory serves me correctly, it will cost $600 ish. While it is there, have the impeller replaced, new spark plugs and de carb. Aside from the injectors, all I noted is general maintenance.

I don't know a thing about the injectors, but I do know that you should replace the water pump and impeller in any outboard every 3 years or so.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Banned
    mine goes in for service same time every year

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    mine goes in for service same time every year
    Mine, too!

7. Member
    That's one nice feature about my 4 stroke, if an injector leans out it won't necessarily blow up.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Time for the prescribed 300 hour service. Find an Evinrude dealer, not only will they replace the parts that are scheduled for the 300 hour maintenance, but they will also check and update the EMM with the latest MAP.

9. Member
    I'm not familiar with the Evinrude motors but if it was me I would replace the whole water pump assembly, spark plugs, fuel filter and have the injectors cleaned and calibrated by someone who know how to do it.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

I have my motor serviced once a year by a local tech...

New Plugs
    Lower Unit oil
    Decarb (as needed)
    Fuel filter
    Impeller
    And a few other things...
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!