Merc monitor and humminbird heading sensor?

Installed heading sensor on 1199 head unit and trying to wire it to the Merc monitor. Come to find out the baud rate is different and there is no way around it. How important is the GPS speed going to the Merc monitor? What will be affected if I disconnect the Merc monitor from the GPS speed and just used to heading sensor itself.

Thank you
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

2. Member
    Speed, Distance.

3. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    If you really want the GPS to Mercmonitor you can connect a lowrance Point 1 antenna to the MM by the NMEA 2000 connector. That way you will have all your GPS functions on the MM and still use our Bird.

I`m assuming only thing it will be lacking is Speed and distance and MPG,which isn`t too important to me. 99% of the time I usually just have it on trim,water pressure and tach. So I will unhook the mercmonitor plug from the Humminbird unit and plug in the heading sensor. If I get ambitious maybe I`ll get a Point1. Thanks
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can I assume that you have the Humminbird NMEA-2000 Module in this installation? If so... I believe it is a ONE WAY only setup (allows data from the MercMonitor TO the Graph, but not GPS data back to the MercMonitor).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I do not have the module. I am new to Humminbird. Graph is hooked to MercMonitor from factory,did not realize this til I installed the heading sensor. Come to find out the heading sensor is a different baud rate than the others. After reading some more,probably just be easiest to connect a lowrance puck to Merc Monitor.

@spider: if I can find a cheaper lgc3000 or 4000 can I install this directly to the Merc Monitor through the nmea2k? Do I need to power the nmea2k?
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would need ANY NMEA-2000 Device installed to a BACKBONE (that's powered).

Suspect your current connection isn't NMEA-2000 (but rather NMEA-0183).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You would need ANY NMEA-2000 Device installed to a BACKBONE (that's powered).

Suspect your current connection isn't NMEA-2000 (but rather NMEA-0183).
    Yes it is 0183, I have looked at some MercMonitor diagrams that show the nmea2k. Puck is plugged into T with the MercMonitor plugged into other side and from what I can tell just a terminating plug to finish it out. This is where I'm confused because I know it is supposes to be powered and wonder if the MercMonitor is powering it?
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

9. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Yes you can use either the 3000 or 4000. You will need to power the backbone and use two resisters one on each end of the backbone, and a power node. I think the resisters are 120 ohm but you need to verify that may be over on the Lowrance page.

Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    Yes you can use either the 3000 or 4000. You will need to power the backbone and use two resisters one on each end of the backbone, and a power node. I think the resisters are 120 ohm but you need to verify that may be over on the Lowrance page.
    OK, thank you!!!!
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NMEA-2000 terminating resistors are indeed 120 ohm resistors.