Thread: Xr2 miss fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xr2 miss fire

Still having this issue with no spark on no6 cylinder. So far I swapped the switch boxes same problem same cylinder. Next swapped the wiresame from the no4 coil and no6 coil at the switch box the problem went to no4. Swapped the wires back the Swapped the coils still no fire on no6. Also new stator. Trigger issue? Sn a199697

2. Member
    if the problem follows the wire then wire us bad /do ohm test on wire likely bad connection at terminal ends
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I made a quick jumper to go from the switch box to the coil on no 6 still same problem

4. Member
    ohm test on trigger
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't overlook the GROUND for the coil... and when you make a jumper, make certain BOTH ends of the original lead are disconnected.

Does this engine still have an idle stabilizer installed?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Stabilizer is gone not sure if they set timing or not. I removed the small black ground wire check and cleaned the connectionsame. Still same issue. Also had both ends removed when I haventured the jumper

7. Member
    check trigger yet

Have not checked it. Do you have a spec sheet on ohm readings?

9. Member
    1100 - 1400

I will check it when I get home. If it was the trigger wouldn't I have more than one cylinder with no spark?

11. Member
    true

I got 13.67,14.2 and 11.45 on all three test

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Usually trigger will affect 2 cylinders when there is a problem in a winding.

You said that you swapped the wires and swapped the coils. Did you physically remove the coil, and move it to another location, placing the coil from another cylinder in place of the #6 coil (and then still had no spark at the #6 cylinder)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    test looks good,would check wiring and ccoils closely

Yes I swapped the coils and still had no spark on #6. I pulled the small black ground wire and cleaned the ends and where it bolts to the block still same issue. How much power should I see at the lead coming from the switch box? I will make a new ground wire when I get home just to be safe on that end

16. Member
    if you have dva meter at idle 125-175 volts on 400 scale if you have low voltage at sw box terminal on #6 pimary and all others are good sw box is bad

I swapped the switch boxes around and still had the same issue. If it was the box I would think the issue would go to #5

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not necessarily...

Problem will be in the switchboxes (ALWAYS replace IN PAIRS), or the trigger. Switchboxes are more likely if it's a SINGLE cylinder down.

Just got time to look at the motor. I got the miss fire solved after 2 new switch boxes. Now I'm trying to set the timing since the module was removed many moons ago and I doubt they set it back up. With all the plugs out I get 17 degrees at idle and 26 at wot. This is after I got tdc and checked the pointer. My question is the screws on the throttle arm. The function of each? Right now my idle is way to high. I know on muffs it will be different than in the water.

20. Member
    set it 4-6 at idle /23 wot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast