225 pro xs lower unit question

I have a bad gearcase and need to purchase a new or used one. Anybody have any recommendations on where to purchase and save a few bucks? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Google is your friend. And your enemy. I prefer known sources. The ones here (Don's for one, or Savage's or whatever) are much more trustworthy than the internet hack jobs where you never know if you will get anything at all for your money, much less whether it will actually work and last or not. Which place would you prefer to buy a used car from, a dealership or "Bob's potluck auto mall"??

3. Member
    How bad is your gear case? Can't be rebuilt?

4. Member
    There guys on here from time to time with rebuilt torque master for under 2500 that's pretty good you can get a verodo style a little cheaper that's the only two that will work on your motor. A new torque master will be around 6 grand gen one not two.There was a guy on here the other day had a rebuilt one with warrantee for 1900 not sure if it's still their, in the motor parts forum.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    How bad is your gear case? Can't be rebuilt?
    The prop shaft inner nut that seals the shaft is no good. Some how last time out a seal leaked and water got inside and froze and expanded the housing

6. Member
    I would like just the gear case bc thats most cost effective or a used lower

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

From this info we can determine what style gearcase we're probably discussing- and what options might be available to you.

Depending on the condition of the internals, a replacement HOUSING is possibly an option, also. We build (and sell) a number of 3L gearcases... if you'd like to discuss directly (or price), see Rhonda's post that's pinned at the top of the forum for Parts Department contact info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor