Ended the season with a bang

We had a pretty good waterfowl season in Oklahoma. I never really found the big numbers of birds like we usually do, but found enough to keep it fun. The last 3 days were some very fun hunts.

On Friday I had to get in and out pretty quick before work. At LST I had birds working the decoys pretty good. Was covered in teal from LST until I picked up the decoys. I shot my limit in about 10 minutes, then watched the birds work the spread for a little bit

I took a friend out Saturday morning to an area that has been holding a few birds. We didn't have a lot of birds around us, but the ones that we did, committed to the spread. We picked off single and doubles for about an hour

The final morning of the season was a very fun solo hunt. I had made plans to hunt with a friend on his place, but he texted me late Saturday night saying he couldn't go. So I wasn't going to sit at home on the last day of season. I went back to the spot I hunted on Friday, knowing I could limit on teal pretty quick. At LST I killed a triple on mallards, then shot a double on sprig. I decided to pass on flock after flock of teal, waiting on one more greenhead. About 20 minutes after LST a solo mallard made his last migration.

A couple other hunts that stand out when thinking about the season

Fun morning in the snow

Foggy morning green
    Last edited by MikeSouza; 01-31-2017 at 12:37 AM.

God hunts there

3. T Dub
    Wow! Great pictures and a great season! You always seem to find the birds. Do you mostly hunt private lands or public?

Awesome. We didn't do nearly as well the final weekend. Early-season was good January was a bust for us.
    Paul Allsup - Grand Lake
    04\' 519svx w/04\' 200 Opti

5. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Great pics!!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

6. Member

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Very nice... Great photos, as usual.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Wow! Great pictures and a great season! You always seem to find the birds. Do you mostly hunt private lands or public?
    We hunt both private and public. When I hunt public, it's during the week when less people are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Allsup View Post
    Awesome. We didn't do nearly as well the final weekend. Early-season was good January was a bust for us.
    We had a good season until the 4.5 inches of rain a few weeks ago. The birds seemed to spread out on a lot of flooded pasture land that was un-huntable. The last 4 days of the season the birds worked their way back to spots we could hunt. Went out yesterday to check an area for geese and it had around teal on it. Think they're making their way north already with this hot weather.

Yea, we have pelican showing back up here. I think alot of our birds moved back up to KS when the lakes thawed out.
    Paul Allsup - Grand Lake
    04\' 519svx w/04\' 200 Opti