2006 Etec 225ho problems

model # E225DHLSDF
    serial # 05126774

My problem is not really bad, but a problem that drives me insane! First thing taking boat off trailer (it doesn't really matter the outside temp) motor starts up fine, idles fine, but shifting gears the motor dies, and starts right back up no problems. I have read things til I'm blue in the face. I have cleaned all filters and have had the motor in to certified dealer. They act like its no big deal and say that's how they are. I am mechanically inclined and have read and trouble shot my shift interrupter switch... it is functioning correctly, what i have noticed is sometimes when putting the boat in neutral sometimes it stays in gear and have to find the sweat spot sometimes in the shifter. Once the motor has been ran i do not have this problem anymore, its always first thing in the morning. And when your fishing and get slid of your trailer and there are guys hanging around the ramp and you got to fire it up and keep from hitting them and your fuel injected motor dies, don't seem right to me. If you guys could help me on the shift linkage height and possibly other things to check. What i think is happening is the linkage is a little out causing the shift interrupt switch to activate under a load. I cant mimic this on ear muffs due to no load on the prop.

Thank you gentlemen!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Nope, I think it's just cold blooded. One thing that will definitely help is to make sure your engine is carbon-free and has clean spark plugs. It's also possible that your idle is a touch too low, and that warming up in neutral for a minute or so before you pull away from the dock might help. Is your fuel system fully charged? That is, do you turn on the key until the fuel pump stops"whirring" before you start the engine? If not, you should also do that. Maybe the fuel system has only enough fuel in the lines to start the engine, then takes an additional start cycle to get fully primed. Use XD-100 oil if you don't already, make sure you have good plugs, and my Evinrude dealer tells me to turn on the key before I back the boat into the water, to ensure the fuel system is fully primed.

I know what you mean about catching flak from the dock guys when you have to restart your engine, but (a) lots of motors of all brands have the exact same issues at the dock, or don't start at all, and (b) your 2006 is no longer a brand new engine, so they can cut you some slack...
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Have you tried adjusting your shift cable? With the motor off, remove the cable from the shift linkage stalk and from the cable cradle. Now spin the prop with your foot and shift to reverse so you have a positive lock in gear. Now move the linkage back to neutral and spin the prop with your foot again and shift to forward. Repeat this about 5 times and then back to neutral one more time. Now attach the cable back to the stalk and put the washer and nut on finger tight. Now see how the black trunion adjusting nut fits into the cradle, if it doesn't fit in smoothly adjust it so it does. Make sure the linkage doesn't move. If that doesn't do it your shift cable may be stretched. You can check the movement on it for end slop.

5. Member
    I'll give it a try this afternoon! And it may be cold natured, im just shocked that a fuel injected motor will be cold nature... I had dealer check plugs, gap, and indexing of the plugs. I asked them to go through motor with a fine tooth comb, but when you run motor on garden hose everything is fine. The idle seems a little low in rpm... but I'm kinda anal about some things.

6. Member
    Anyone ever cleaned the exhaust back pressure fitting and I am guessing the engine is trimmed somewhat when doing this procedure so a blocked fitting even more evident. If the person claims this is normal I would find someone else.

7. Member
    I cleaned the fitting. I will see how it does this weekend! it was about 1/2 clogged I could still blow through it...

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Anyone ever cleaned the exhaust back pressure fitting and I am guessing the engine is trimmed somewhat when doing this procedure so a blocked fitting even more evident. If the person claims this is normal I would find someone else.
    What Huey said.....This is NOT normal.....these engines and the DFI engines will purr like a kitten....no matter the weather...IF...all is well....I'm with Huey....you need another dealer....