2.4 Mercury Black Max Serial Number 5465262 external Trim Pump

Found motor oil in my boat under the trim pump. Was going to vent and refill and try to find leak. Problem is that the vent screw and the dipstick screw are completely missing their heads. Where is the best place to buy either a working used one or new if possible. Motor is a 1980 Black Max 200 2.4.

Thanks in advance
    Tom

2. Member
    The (2 3/8") dipstick used on outboards is part # A-89499. Depending on which one you have, the 2 "O" ring Manual Release valve part # is A-89494. and the 3 "O" ring Manual Release valve part # is A-96598. You might try ebay. I found a complete pump rebuild kit, part #99073, on ebay for about $100.00. The rebuild kit includes the dipsticks & manual release valves & everything else needed to rebuild the pump. I have a 1984 "150" with the remote trim pump. Because of their age, these parts are considered "no longer available (NLA)" from Mercury, however, Don may be able to locate them for you also.
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 02-04-2017 at 08:45 AM.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're able to determine "exactly" which part numbers you need, Rhonda can run an NLA search for you.

Keep in mind, we do not support "bay" items here in the forums. Understandable, however, that it might become your only option in a case such as this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The part #'s above came from Merc factory service manual 90-97658-3 for Models V-135 thru V-225 with serial #'s 5464486 and up. I also used a Merc parts manual revised in June, 1981, but please verify the #'s to be sure, since these #'s may have been superseded with later #'s. I agree with Don about ebay. My pump needed a complete rebuild, and ebay was my last resort to locate the rebuild kit. Fortunately, I got lucky and found a NOS genuine Mercury rebuild kit.

5. Member
    Purchased one from someone on the list. Figured I would replace whole assembly and try to rebuild old one on the bench when removed.

6. Member
    Great!!!!! They're easy to rebuild. The kit comes with instructions. The old "O" rings in mine had cracked, and it was drifting down. Just keep everything clean when rebuilding.