Question Cranking Battery

In the market for a new cranking battery. Running a Puma with 250 Pro XS, twin power polls and one fish finder on bow and one at console. Plus the usual pumps. Even when current battery was new I'd get a power drop late in the day to the bow fish finder. Currently running an Interstate Cranking 27m 800 cca. 1000 mca.
    Given the limitation on space adding a separate battery to run accessories isn't an option. So is there a better option than a standard cranking battery to start engine and give better performance all day running the accessories?

Thanks.

2. Member
    That 27m is a decent wet battery, but with your accessories, you would be better served with a high quality 31 series AGM. Depending on what charger you have, that would dictate brand options for you. No need for a house battery just for your accessories with a good 31 AGM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    With all the load requirements, a 31 series AGM is the only serious option for a cranking battery. Yeah, they cost a little more, but this is a serious failure if it happens.
    I run a Northstar AGM in my boats. Never had a problem.

4. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    With all the load requirements, a 31 series AGM is the only serious option for a cranking battery. Yeah, they cost a little more, but this is a serious failure if it happens.
    I run a Northstar AGM in my boats. Never had a problem.
    Mikes right 31AGM and don't look back.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

5. Member
    For the cranking, I'm suggesting (can't spell recommending) a 31AGM also. The Sams Duracell is made by East Penn (parent company of DEKA) and is a good battery for this.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Guys thanks for the input. I'll get 31 in by spring time.

I had the same interstate and upgraded to a 31agm odyssey and been super happy since
    2017 BCB Eyra
    250 Pro XS
    Contemplating a 300R

Serenity is falling asleep in the boat while getting a bite
    Big Bear Fishing Rods

Be sure to have a friend help you install it......It has some a** behind it
    2017 BCB Eyra
    250 Pro XS
    Contemplating a 300R

Serenity is falling asleep in the boat while getting a bite
    Big Bear Fishing Rods

9. Member
    I have gone through the same analysis a few times and came up with two options. 1. Buy an interstate 31 deep cycle from Costco for $80; or a quality AGM 31 battery (there are few good ones) for about $300. I have had my interstates last from 2 to 5 years. I'm on my 2nd AGM and the 1st one lasted 3 years (Die Hard) so I upgraded to one with a better warranty (X2 sold by Battery Plus). The AGM seems to better support all the electronics on the boat. I haven't had any issues.

The AGM battery weighs about 75 lbs. I have a friend who went with very very expensive lithium batteries that weigh have that. Not sure its worth the cost.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI