Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can a Bass Cat sink?

Not trolling...been doing some research to buy a new boat this year and am really interested in Bass Cat. I have only owned Ranger in the past and a Charger was my first boat. Always felt extra comfortable knowing the Ranger can fill with water and not sink.

The fact that Rick is so involved and open about the direction of his company etc. really makes me feel like this is the best family to join. Waiting to see the new Lynx!!! I will be in Houston to check it out!

No, a BCB boat will not sink. None of them will if you do the Ranger trick. Here is how that works:

Here is the physics behind the cut away hulls, and why they are used with such success in lemming advertisements. Certainly impressive, isn't it? holes cut in a foam filled hull floating like nothing is wrong, right?

Forget the fact that all boats are built today with comparable floatation, let's just look at the holes.

If I took a styrafoam cooler, filled it with water it would sink down to about....here, right? Water in the cooler will hold it down to a certain level, however if I cut a hole in the bottom of the cooler, what happens? Does it sink? No, in fact it raises up, because the trapped water is now allowed to escape, and the cooler pops up to it's normal floatation level. No difference in a hull with floatation in it.

If you took that lemming wagon, left in the plug, NO HOLES, and filled it full of water, it would sink to the gunnels, because the water couldn't escape. That boys and girls is why they cut the holes.

Every current boat would do exactly the same, you can just take the plug out and see similar results. Whoop de freaking deal. But, it sure sells boats to the weak minded.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    No, a BCB boat will not sink. None of them will if you do the Ranger trick. Here is how that works:

Here is the physics behind the cut away hulls, and why they are used with such success in lemming advertisements. Certainly impressive, isn't it? holes cut in a foam filled hull floating like nothing is wrong, right?

Forget the fact that all boats are built today with comparable floatation, let's just look at the holes.

If I took a styrafoam cooler, filled it with water it would sink down to about....here, right? Water in the cooler will hold it down to a certain level, however if I cut a hole in the bottom of the cooler, what happens? Does it sink? No, in fact it raises up, because the trapped water is now allowed to escape, and the cooler pops up to it's normal floatation level. No difference in a hull with floatation in it.

If you took that lemming wagon, left in the plug, NO HOLES, and filled it full of water, it would sink to the gunnels, because the water couldn't escape. That boys and girls is why they cut the holes.

Every current boat would do exactly the same, you can just take the plug out and see similar results. Whoop de freaking deal. But, it sure sells boats to the weak minded.

Well look at that! Makes perfect sense! Thank you!!!

Physics engineer and we didn't even know... Next time you take me fishing I'll expect the same principals in putting me on some big fish...LOL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post

He's right about that. Pull up the pic of Shin Fukae's boat that hit the bridge. That is reality.

I thought JP was a numbers guy not a physicist Glad to know my cat will swim with the rangers etc

7. Banned
    No modern bass boat will sink out of sight.

Page 67 section 3.3

nmma certification ( all bass boats for sure)

http://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/...0/Ccpapers.pdf

However swamp a boat regularly or leave it swamped for days and it may sink. Even a ranger. Ever see a ranger that is loaded lighter than its exactly rigged twin boat that floats shallower? Water will penetrate foam over time from not using tarps excetra. I have pulled foam out of two boats that when put into 30 gallon bags it wants able to hold the foam. So water saturated. (Closed cell foam my azs)

Bass Cat models will definitely float when submerged on all models. The NMMA certification mentioned is not regulatory USCG, though is required for JNMMA member certification. BCB meets the requirements and regulations. Boats over 20' 1" are NOT required to have level flotation and some brands do not.

Above is also a good point as foam does absorb water when exposed to it, which is why BCB production encapsulates all foam. If the cut out boats were left for a long period of time open foam would absorb water. Though they seal the foam with resin and glass to protect it at the cut outs.

We have some old images where they displayed the product with water in them and the drain plugs in place from years ago. They tested a 1974-75 model and after testing they shot advertising pictures. Also in 1978 they pumped a plugged 1600 Vee full of water until it ran over the splash well. The Bass Fishing Archive has that image posted. Those were the first advertisements which showed flotation. They ended the use of flooded boats when the points made above were used, it's not really carrying much weight and the fiberglass density below water level is only .38 of a pound.

There are many examples of flooded boats, and brands that only float nose up like cork bobbers.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 01-11-2017 at 10:56 PM.

11. Member
    cool archive photos

12. Member
    Back in the early 80's I saw a 1500V filled with water and sitting level, all the fishing tackle kinda floating around inside, tied to the dock before a club tournament. They launched, forgot to put the plug in. Kinda floating like the picture in the link above. Rick may know the boat, seems it was white, blue bolt and cap, with a red border on the bolt, running a 100hp Evinrude (with some mods).
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtibbals View Post
    BassCat Hull/Caps are NOT screwed together at the rub rails---they use a much better process. You cannot back out screws and take the cap off a Cat hull. Just one of the MANY construction details that makes a Cat the best boat in the water.

15. Member
    Not brand bashing but, they are riveted together.

They are glasses together into the hulls and transoms. Rivets are used to secure the rub rail, and they are long suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by mulligans View Post
    Not brand bashing but, they are riveted together.
    Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    cool archive photos
    Except for the short-shorts
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

19. Member
    I remember a movie about a unsinkable boat call the Titanic. I have seen like a lot of people the boats with hull cut open and the boat floating by different brands. I would just say better to be careful and not try out whether it will float under extreme conditions. You have to much to lose. just my .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast