Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to me Cobra 180

Hey everyone i just bought a used 2002 Cobra 180 with a 150 HP Mercury that has 45 hours on it and I am getting it ready for this bass season. One of the things I wanted to do was to install a recessed trolling motor foot tray. Any advice on whether or not there would be a cross bar support or anything other obstacle that would be a potential problem would be appreciated. Additionally any advice in general on things to look out for or keep up on or fix before it breaks kinda items would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sharp !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    I have the same boat and have thought about installing a recessed tray as well. Take the bow panel out and stick your phone in there and take a picture or video to see what it looks like. Link below to the most reasonably priced tray I've found. If your switch panel is hard to read, you might want to order some printed switch covers. I'll see if I can find the pics I took of mine. Enjoy it! For a small boat, it rides and fishes great.

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.co...show=10&page=1

4. Member
    I believe Backlash has some instructions on installing a recessed tray
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

5. Member
    Here's my bow switch panel.

6. Member
    Installed a Troll Well on mine and there wasn't anything you had to cut through from what I remember. Digging the foam out was a pain though... Check with Backlash on this thread http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=67922

Sharp boat btw.

Beautiful rig!!!!!

8. Member
    Thanks to all for the comments and advice.

9. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramem52 View Post
    Thanks to all for the comments and advice.
    Ramen52...Did you get the recessed trolling motor pedal instructions I sent you?

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

10. Member
    Yes I did thank you. I had sent you an email response as well. Hopefully I will start that project soon. Still need to get a tray though

11. Member
    Good morning all. Took the boat out for the first time this weekend for a club tournament and the boat ran pretty good. Top speed on the speedo was about 57 MPH, next time out I will check it with a GPS.

also, I have been looking through the site to see exactly how the live well works and I came across an old article from Flow Rite to understand how it works but on my boat I have two rocker switches that read "AER 1" and "AER 2". When I turned on AER 1 the live well filled up but when I clicked AER 2 I wasn't noticing what was happening, if any. Can anyone provide some info on what AER 1 and AER 2 actually do?

12. Member
    AER 1 utilizes the flow-rite valve just below your shifter. Recirc/Empty/Auto. When set to recirc, AER 1 just recirculates water already in the livewell. Empty drains the livewell and Auto mixes fresh lake water with water from the livewell. AER 2 only pumps in fresh water from the lake. On mine, neither had timers on them so I added one to the AER 1. I use both to fill the livewell quickly, then leave AER 1 on Auto using the timer during the day. Best thing to do is fill up the livewell with a hose at home and play with them to figure out which is which. On mine, looking at the switch panel, the left one utilizes the valve and the right one is fill only.

13. Member
    Thanks for the info. My next trip out I will review it further.

14. Member
    Still getting acclimated to the new boat and I have noticed the storage lid shocks are wore out and they only hold the lids open if you push them all the way open and even then they tend to want to close on their own. I have looked around for replacements and came across some I believe may work but not sure if anyone else can provide any insight. The included picture shows what shock I have now and I have found some shocks that I believe are same size but in 30 lb instead of the 20 lb. Will the extra 10 lbs be a problem or should I just order them and install them? Thanks for any information.

15. Member
    If anything, I would think it might just take a little more pressure to close the lids. Doubt it will make much difference. Just a guess. Mine are in about the same shape as yours.

16. Member
    Thanks mrdeath, I doubt it will make much difference either but it might start to wear on the mounting points, mainly why I asked to see if someone would recommend against it or knew of a direct replacement item.

I would switch to the heavier shocks, on a windy day you won't have a rod locker trying to close on your head! All lids are made out of aluminum, plenty stout enough for the heavier shocks. Where did you find the 30s and are they the same length?

18. Member
    I did a search using the numbers on the side of the shock and I found similar ones that are the same length. I will order some and update the thread.

19. Member
    I had to replace all the shocks on my '98 201. I just took an old one in to the auto parts store and they matched it with .5"of the stroke. They work great with no issues so far. Those lids are solid, I'm sure they can take as strong a shock as you want to put on them.

20. Member
    Ok. Thanks for the response, I will check that out too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast