Thread: Fiberglass Help

Fiberglass Help

Not sure where to post this but I figure someone in here has had some fiberglass experience.

I bought a new boat and on one side below the rub rail down at least a foot or so there is what looks like a gelcoat run or a spot where it was put on thicker. Wish I had a pic but its kind of hard, you have to have the boat clean and look at it from an angle. The spot is probably a couple inches wide and goes down to at least where the boat starts to curve back inwards.

I just got off of the phone with a fiberglass repair guy and he said that what I am describing is almost impossible unless it was repaired.

My question is this indicative of a repair?

Thanks

2. Member
    Can you feel it or just see it? May just be a flaw in the clear gelcoat under the surface. If you can feel it it may be a repair. Take to you local repair facility and see what they say.

3. Member
    Boat is currently at dealer to get some other things done to it. They don't do glass work so that's why I had contacted a glass repair guy. So I'm not sure if I can feel it or not. I don't think I could feel it. If you looked straight on at it I don't think you would notice it but when you look from the side at an angle its pretty obvious. Should have the boat back next week though.

4. Member
    long term how does this structurally affect the boat if it was a repair? If a crack when present when it came out of the mold I'm inclined to think that will be a weaker part of the boat from here on out.

If it is new make a warranty claim