Thread: China

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

China

Going to China for work January 11-20. Never been there before. For those that have been there, let's hear your China stories - good or bad.

Horrible traffic, ton of pollution, be on the lookout always for bad guy's, you're credit card will be scammed, get ready to eat disgusting chit.

My old management went there frequently and those were takeaways.
    See ignorance daily

3. Banned
    Make sure you have your shots, don't go out alone, and don't take white clothes they will be brown by mid day from the smog. But I was in Beijing might be different other places.

It's a big country. Where are you heading? (Province/City?)
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

5. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    My buddy use to go and bring home every kind of fishing game there was in circulation and pass them out to his friends. No copyright laws, games were a $1 or $2 - 10 years ago.

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Sounds fun so far...

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Get the lunch special #1 with happy ending.

8. Member
    Vision 110's are cheap, the whooores are not!!! Have fun

9. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    If you want to pick up Local Chicks, here is a line by buddy used: ME SOOOO HORNEY.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
    It's a big country. Where are you heading? (Province/City?)
    Sorry, Shenzhen only. Flying in/out of Hong Kong. I have a full time interpreter with me the entire time I'm not in my hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    Sorry, Shenzhen only. Flying in/out of Hong Kong. I have a full time interpreter with me the entire time I'm not in my hotel.
    Might want to find out a few likes of your interpreter and bring a couple token gifts allowed, but harder for them to get locally. He/she will most likely be your new best friend before leaving. Take their recommendations as gospel and if an area is relayed as a no-go, do not try otherwise. There are military and industrial complexes separated by sometimes as simple as a door with great consequences by opening the wrong one. Your interpreter will most likely be a state cleared employee, so sticking tight with them will be the safest bet. Good luck and have fun!
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

12. Member
    If it's like it used to be, take toilet paper. The stuff used to be like rice paper. As nitrodude said, treat your interpreter good, they will keep you safe.

Return our drone please. China has stolen one of our drones!

We adapted my son from China 6 years ago. Flew into Beijing then flew to Nanjing. Stayed there a week then to Guangzhou for another week.
    The smog was intense. I ended up getting a bad sinus infection. Now you know why you see a lot of women in China with masks on the faces. I went to the hotel "Doctor" and they gave me crazy amount of drugs. The next morning the sinus were dry and damn were they dry.
    Traffic was interesting. Everyone cuts each other off. Horns beeping like crazy but no road range. Trying to cross the street is like playing frogger. When you get a break in traffic you run to the center of the road then when another break in traffic to run to the other side.
    When going to see where my sons orphanage was we were on back narrow roads in a poor area of Nanjing. Our driver came upon a fender bender. He and our guide got out and started talking to the people involved. After it was all said and done they arbitrated with other witness who was at fault and who owed who money for the repairs. Ended up the guy on the scooter had to pay the guy who he hit. The scooter guy damaged the guys car fender when he ran into it.
    The food really wasn't that good in Nanjing. In Gaungzho the food was much better.
    We were there in early March. The weather was in the 60's so I was wearing short sleeves. People kept looking at me. I asked our guide why people kept staring. Have they never seen a 6'2" American? She said it was because I was wearing a short sleeve tee shirt and it was still winter. Everyone was bundled up in winter jackets.
    The airport is also interesting. At least with Air China. They don't call you by zones to board the plane. You wait in a very long line to wait to board your plane. Surprisingly no pushing or shoving.
    One of of the interesting things I enjoyed seeing was the bamboo scaffolding on smaller buildings to large pipe scaffolding on large building. Makes one in the industry respect OSHA so much more.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma33 View Post
    Return our drone please. China has stolen one of our drones!
    I'm on it.

16. BBC SPONSOR / Moderator igs65's Avatar
    If "Tsai Ing-wen" pops up on your caller id while your there...don't answer

17. Member
    Definitely take small gifts to give out if you are meeting with anyone. Either company logo or US or State you are from. Shot glasses are cool, doesn't have to be expensive. When meeting a group give the gift to most senior. After shaking hands (two handed preferred) hand the top dog the gift with both hands. Bow slightly and thank them for their generosity. Might sound crazy but you will really be taken more seriously.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
    Might want to find out a few likes of your interpreter and bring a couple token gifts allowed, but harder for them to get locally. He/she will most likely be your new best friend before leaving. Take their recommendations as gospel and if an area is relayed as a no-go, do not try otherwise. There are military and industrial complexes separated by sometimes as simple as a door with great consequences by opening the wrong one. Your interpreter will most likely be a state cleared employee, so sticking tight with them will be the safest bet. Good luck and have fun!
    Some very sound direction here.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Definitely take small gifts to give out if you are meeting with anyone. Either company logo or US or State you are from. Shot glasses are cool, doesn't have to be expensive. When meeting a group give the gift to most senior. After shaking hands (two handed preferred) hand the top dog the gift with both hands. Bow slightly and thank them for their generosity. Might sound crazy but you will really be taken more seriously.

NoCAL
    That worked really well for someone who we all know back in 2008 on their "apology tour".
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Kids get tired of me bring home chit that don't work a day or two later. Some good copy stuff can be had but avoid the electronics. They will come off the price until you are headed out and there cussing you. That is the lowest price, then you buy.

Pull money out of a ATM with your credit card, don't use money exchanges or hotel. Best rate is off the ATM. Pull out enough and leave the CC in the safe at the hotel. Never had an issue with the CC but be safe, I don't go to the tourist places.

Cheap massages, just don't go for the Happy ending unless your into that. Its not the place for bargains that it use to be. Have fun and be safe!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast