Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling Motor Help...

Purchased our first boat this past September and only took it out roughly 5-6 times. It is a 2005 Pro Team 185 Bass Tracker with a Motor Guide 12V 45lb thrust trolling motor on it. We fish one lake that is electric only, unless to load boat, and got caught one day when the wind picked up and almost didnt make it back to the ramp.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 24V 70lb'ish. Thinking of upgrading to this one http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/...dg7045xxxxxfel

Wondering if the Minn Kota holes would possibly match up to my Motor Guide holes or if I would have to drill new holes? Also I am sure I will have to upgrade the wiring but to what size?

I have a 3 bank 12V charger on board and wondering if I have to get a new charger or if I can make the one I have on the boat work? Last question, is I am not sure which battery is running my electronics, my TM battery or my cranking battery, but if it is my TM battery how would I do the wiring to run my electronics?

Sorry for the silly questions but somewhat of a newby to the newer boats. Thanks

2. Member
    The holes should match up,I know the larger MK do. If your wire is at least 8 ga it will be ok. Your three bank charger will be good,hook up one set of leads to each battery. Nothing should be on the troller batts but the TM. If anything else in on the TM battery,simply move the pos and neg wires to the cranking battery. You should have at least a 50a breaker on the TM circuit,only one and it needs to be on the battery that the TM pos wire hooks to.

3. Member
    Usually the starting battery also powers the electronics and pumps. Did your battery get drained running the TM or is it getting tired. Charge it up and get it tested. If you need to replace it, get an AGM group 31. Going to a 24V would help but you would want 2 of the same batteries to power it.
    The 3 bank charger is all you need for 3 batteries, but was this boat setup with 3 originally? Don't know why it would be a 3 bank with 2 batteries.

I had a 2005 pro team 175 with a motor guide. I switched to a 65lb edge and had to drill new holes.

My boat had 8 guage wire, it worked but the wire did get warm. I should have switched it to 6.

If you have a 3 bank charger already you are set, one bank for each battery. And your electronic s should be connected to your starting battery.
    Last edited by johnsobo; 01-29-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

You will not regret going to a 24 volt system. But, if your boat has 8 gauge wire, I would strongly suggest going to 6 gauge. You will also need to change out the breaker to a 60 amp. I would also suggest going with a 809 pound thrust. For a few more $ you will be certain to have all the power that you need when the wind gets up. Your charger should be good to go with a 24 volt system.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    You will not regret going to a 24 volt system. But, if your boat has 8 gauge wire, I would strongly suggest going to 6 gauge. You will also need to change out the breaker to a 60 amp. I would also suggest going with a 809 pound thrust. For a few more $ you will be certain to have all the power that you need when the wind gets up. Your charger should be good to go with a 24 volt system.
    With 809 pound thrust it ought to shoot him across the lake! Lol. Just kidding Jeff! I know it's a typo. Couldn't pass it up! Jeff is right about his info BDPIL, I would do the same thing.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by BDPIL View Post
    Purchased our first boat this past September and only took it out roughly 5-6 times. It is a 2005 Pro Team 185 Bass Tracker with a Motor Guide 12V 45lb thrust trolling motor on it. We fish one lake that is electric only, unless to load boat, and got caught one day when the wind picked up and almost didnt make it back to the ramp.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 24V 70lb'ish. Thinking of upgrading to this one http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/...dg7045xxxxxfel

Wondering if the Minn Kota holes would possibly match up to my Motor Guide holes or if I would have to drill new holes? Also I am sure I will have to upgrade the wiring but to what size?

I have a 3 bank 12V charger on board and wondering if I have to get a new charger or if I can make the one I have on the boat work? Last question, is I am not sure which battery is running my electronics, my TM battery or my cranking battery, but if it is my TM battery how would I do the wiring to run my electronics?

Sorry for the silly questions but somewhat of a newby to the newer boats. Thanks
    If you have a 3 bank charger then that will work. 2 banks for the trolling motor batteries and 1 for the cranking battery. Only thing you might do is possibly upgrade your charger if it doesn't put out enough amps. How many amps per bank is yours? You really should have a 30amp charger. 10amps per bank. 10amps per bank assures charged batteries for the next morning.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    If it is in your budget I would go with a 24 volt 80# thrust.

Plenty of discussion on the tin boat forum about this, check the sticky section up top....I have the same the same boat (2005), I put a MK 70lb Maxx on mine, holes matched but I drilled two extra since new motor was a lot heavier and of course going from 46lb to 70lb thrust I wanted the extra strength....not sure how heavy the Edge is compared to my Max but the max is a beefy unit. You are Ok with 3 bank charger as others have said and I only upgraded to a 50 amp breaker, used same wiring and no problems, been on for couple of years. I did have to change plug up front but not a hard to do, just follow diagram that comes with new plug. 70lb is plenty for me, mine is a variable speed and mid range is all I ever use....top range will throw you out if your not ready for it...
    Last edited by rtlgator; 01-30-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Electronics should be hooked up to starting battery.... the challenge was to fit battery's 3 in back, I moved my stock charging unit to the small box to the left of boat and had to put in group 27's for troller but some have been able to fit group 29's back there...

My problem now is the Max 70 does not have lift assit and it's a bear to pull up, trying right now to install shocks on both sides of motor to help, it looks like the edge would be easier to deploy and store ??

12. Member
    Tin Bass Trackers are notorious for using too small of wire gauge, especially for the trolling motor. For a reliable 24 volt system you need 3 batteries. Do you have enough room for three safely mounted?

If you choose to go to 80lb you will need to change wiring...but mine has been fine and never tripped breaker of felt any heat on wiring...

14. Member
    I just did this on my 2001 PT 185. Yes the holes matched up but, when I lowered the motor over the side the shaft hit the edge of the boat so I had to move the motor up about 1/2" and re drill. As long as you have 8ga wire you should be good to go.

15. Member
    Do a search on 24 volt wiring. Lots of stuff out their. Most of its correct.
    Screenshot_20170130-111117-600x600.jpg
    Above is a standard 24 volt setup. To hook up the charger, as stated in an above post, hook up each set of leads to one battery.
    If you need 12 volts for an accessory, you can hook up to one of the batteries, and get 12 volts. Keep in mind, do not use this for needed items, as these batteries do not get recharged unless the charger is plugged in.

16. Member
    Get a variable speed motor. You'll be happier, and batteries will last longer.

17. Member
    Thanks for all the reply's guy's much appreciate it. This board is very helpful especially for a boater beginner like me.

As for the wiring it sounds like I have atleast 8ga. but I havent investigated it that much. I do have room in the back to put in an extra battery to make it a 24v system. Will more than definitely upgrade the wiring to 6ga and the breaker to 60amp.

Right now all I can afford is the 70# thrust which I think will be enough. I know bigger is better but its all I can afford right now. I did find the paper work for the charger and it is a 3 bank charger and will accommodate a 24v charging system. Has a nice diagram on how to do it.

Thanks again for all the reply's and if someone has a great idea on how to best do the wiring I'm all ears. I'm hoping to pull it through when I pull the old out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Oops...that's 80 pound thrust!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Member
    I did have the edge 70 lb. Only thing I don't like Is the switch. I upgraded to a maxum variable speed . It is heavier as well

As a suggestion: Check for-sale areas (this board, SearchTempest.com to look at multiple Craigslist sites, etc.) for a used 24v Maxxum 74 or 80 lb. thrust motor. You should easily be able to get into a used Maxxum for less than $400. Even if it needs a few parts, Johns Trolling Motor (board sponsor) can hook you up with whatever you need - with expert advice to boot!

You'd end up getting more power, and better features for a bit less money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast