Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex worth the money?

Upgrading my trolling motor this season from a Maxxum 101, had planned on a Fortrex 112 but it seems like the Ultrex is the way to go, just wondering if it's worth the additional cost. I've used neither, so looking for opinions on both. I run Lowrance as well, so the Link feature isn't a selling point. Appreciate any input.

The way I see it, it's like going from a Jeep to a Cadillac.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Depends on what you're wanting to do. The spot lock feature seems to be the selling point of the trolling motor. You can push a button and the trolling motor will keep you in the same location. Great for fighting a fish, retying, fishing a ledge, staying on a hole, all without having to fight the trolling motor. When you're on the trolling motor, the cable steer with electric assist provides no torque feed back to the footpedal.
    Hope this helps and give me a call when you're ready. I can ship to your door, either motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

There's a good review on one in the general forum. Sorry, don't have a link.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    Was running the Fortrex 101 and Just recently purchased the Ultrex, and its a beast. The only complaint I have is that the foot pedal doesn't fit in the recessed tray on my Z9. Not sure how I'm going to address this problem but I will figure some thing out. I'm open for suggestions on the fitment issue!

6. Member
    Was running the Fortrex 101 and Just recently purchased the Ultrex, and its a beast. The only complaint I have is that the foot pedal doesn't fit in the recessed tray on my Z9. Not sure how I'm going to address this problem but I will figure some thing out. I'm open for suggestions on the fitment issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrokid View Post
    I shaved the last 2" by 3/8" in my 2009 Z7 to fit the pedal.

Attached Thumbnails

8. Member
    I have an Edge, and I'm upgrading to the Terrova. But had the opportunity to demo an Ultrex the other day. If I was in the market for a foot control trolling motor, I'd upgrade to the Ultrex. Spot lock, auto-pilot, iPilot, optional foot or remote control, and the foot pedal felt like it had power steering. Another thing I noticed was little to no motor torque altering the direction the motor was pointing.

9. Member

10. Member
    For the way I fish, it was worth it to me to have a Fortrex swapped out for the Ultrex. But I fish brush piles and ledges so the spot lock feature is nice for that.

11. Member
    Love mine. I crappie fish and bass fish. Nice to hit anchor and retie or similar in 20mph wind and not lose your spot. I had the fortrex and great motor if you don't mind being on the pedal all the time.

12. Member
    Appreciate the feedback. There doesn't seem to be many negatives about it other than the trolling motor pedal being so large. I put in a recessed myself, so it'd be just as easy to remove it and install a wider one. Anyone know if they make a recessed pan for a Ultrex specifically?

Mr. Jones, you've always been square dealing with me so you'll be getting my business when I pull the trigger.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound4Pound View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. There doesn't seem to be many negatives about it other than the trolling motor pedal being so large. I put in a recessed myself, so it'd be just as easy to remove it and install a wider one. Anyone know if they make a recessed pan for a Ultrex specifically?

Mr. Jones, you've always been square dealing with me so you'll be getting my business when I pull the trigger.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I have a recess tray (Pro - control) that is apx 10" wide and 19" long. The footpedal for the ultrex is 9" wide and 12" long to the front, then another apx 4 -6" of cable covering at the front.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Motorguide better announce their answer to the Ultrex soon or I'm jumping ship. Xi5 is instantly obsolete. Ultrex is everything I have wanted.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Motorguide better announce their answer to the Ultrex soon or I'm jumping ship. Xi5 is instantly obsolete. Ultrex is everything I have wanted.

I don't see that at all. I'm not jumping ship because of a cable steer pedal.
    I do like the mount though.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

16. Member
    yes it is. By far the best thing I have bought for my boat. I thought power poles where but not any longer.
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

17. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Cable steer pedal, power steering, traditional mount, spot lock, tracking, ipilot and last but not least a motor with all those features (like an Xi5 and Ulterra) that will not spin around in a circle like Linda Blairs head did in "Exorcist". And that right there is why contium is dead on correct!!

TMG I respect your views and loyalty to a brand but I "jumped ship" after 27 years with MG.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member
    Yep the Ultrex is worth the money if you do a lot of structure fishing in high winds and rollers. You will be absolutely amazed with the accuracy and the ease of use. I came up with pretty clever way to mount my foot pedal in my Z9 tray without cutting my deck. It doesn't fit all the way to back of the tray but that's ok because it leaves the drain wide open. First I completely removed the power plug and direct connected the power supply leads with stainless steel nuts and bolts and insulated for protection. (How many times does anyone unplug the trolling motor after use anyway) I cut a piece of treated 2x4 and cut it down to 2-3/4" wide and left the width the same (1-3/4). I simply pushed the pedal as far back towards the stern as far as possible and place the modified 2x4 under the toe of the pedal. And fastened everything down with stainless screws. This of course tilts the toe end of the pedal up slighltly. The slight tilt actually made it much more comfortable to operate versus laying flat. I also slightly rounded the edges of the 2x4 and wrapped it with marine grade carpet. It looks factory and it was very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Cable steer pedal, power steering, traditional mount, spot lock, tracking, ipilot and last but not least a motor with all those features (like an Xi5 and Ulterra) that will not spin around in a circle like Linda Blairs head did in "Exorcist". And that right there is why contium is dead on correct!!

TMG I respect your views and loyalty to a brand but I "jumped ship" after 27 years with MG.

I have no loyalty to MG.
    I would have rather had a MinnKota but the xi5 had better spot lock and can link to my HDS
    the Xi5 already has all those features your bragging about. without the mount and cable steer.
    If you spent the time to use and learn the pedal you would see spinning around is a asset.
    But you jumped ship 27 years ago. A few things have changed since then.

BTW. I'm not knocking this motor I'm sure it's awesome.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I don't see that at all. I'm not jumping ship because of a cable steer pedal.
    I do like the mount though.
    Like I said, I hope Motorguide has an answer because I like linking my HDS to the Xi5. There is no way pros like KVD aren't putting pressure on Motorguide. If the Xi5's electric steer is so great, how come I have never seen a pro with one on his boat during a tourney? There are already lots of pros running the Ultrex and taking advantage of its features. I have had an Xi5 for over a year and the pedal sucks now as much as it did day one and I use it a lot. There is no way anyone has as much boat control with the Xi5 as with a cable steer when navigating thru cover, etc. My local boat shop rigs boats for a lot of west coast pros and every one of them has a Ultrex on it.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast