Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

Ultrex 45" shaft length in comparison to a MG Tour 45" length??

I read on here somewhere that one boat owner was questioning whether the Ultrex 45" would still have the same amount of shaft length in the water as a MG 45" given the fact that an Ultrex/Fortrex has a larger/higher mount at the end where the shaft goes thru than a MG of equal length? This is a good observation and got me wondering. My MG Tour lays low and flat on the front as compared to what I see a Ultrex/Fortrex does.

Does this make sense? Has anyone actually measured how much TM shaft is below say the rub rail of each motor if the shaft is all the way down on the mount?
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 01-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    I don't know how many I've installed and have never really thought of this, and after thinking, I don't think the mount makes any difference. If you think about it, the mount is just holding the shaft at "x" spot. The Tour, when deployed, the top of the mount head is not that much lower than the top of the Fortrex/Ultrex mount bowguard. This means that "if" you run the trolling motor all the way down (most people don't), you may gain apx 1" of depth. Now, the issue that most don't consider -- on a Fortrex with a 45" in shaft, the shaft is actually 43.75" long and on a 45" Motorguide, the shaft is a true 45". The shaft, however on the 45" Ultrex, is a 45" shaft and can be adjusted up (for shallow water fishing), only to the limitations of the motor/prop hitting the boat, a 360 transducer, or a panoptics transducer getting in the way of the shaft adjustment.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Thanks for the reply John. In theory it sounds good. I didn't know that a Fortrex shaft was not a true 45". I'm glad the Ultrex is though. I guess before I install my 45" MG Tour on my buddies boat I'll lay it on the opposite side gunnel of my boat with the Ultrex in the deployed postion, drop each motor down fully and take a measurement of how far each lower unit is from the actual rub rail. That ought to satisfy my curiosity. BUT, my MG tour does not have a clamp device under the head limiting the amount of travel down like the Ultrex does. This will be interesting.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    Your Motorguide has a door with a knob used to adjust the height where the Ultrex uses a depth collar. The depth collar is also the connection between the transmission and the shaft of the motor.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]