Rock Run Rookery bird sanctuary and fishing

Not sure if this is been asked before or not, but is the shoreline along this bird haven legal to fish or are we just better off fishing outside of the buoys? I've heard the Conservation officer here isn't so friendly and I'd rather not push the limits here. Maybe next year I'll just approach him myself and ask him. Anyone weigh in on this?

Your talking about the rookery attached to the river off of route 6? Main lake or the small lake next door to it?

3. Member
    Yes, main lake where you can dump a boat in. AKA Rt 6 Quarry

Hmm, I haven't personally seen buoys cutting off a section of the lake...usually its all open. I would contact DNR and would probably expect that whole section to be closed off for fishermen.

You can fish the shore that runs NW from the launch for some distance until you run into the buoys. I have never fished beyond that. Stuck a 19"er on that shoreline last spring pitching the laydowns.

If you are ever looking for some company out there, let me know. That's one place I miss fishing since getting my bigger boat.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

6. Member
    It's def a great place. Although the 5lb drum sure do tease, making you think giant bass. I figured it'd just be best to stay out of the bouys, but I did pull a "herd effect" last year and fished the shore because I saw another boat to it. But there are fish everywhere in there so better to save the potential $100+ ticket from the CO.

Definitely plan on dropping the kayak in there next year. Need to explore that place more.