Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    3 feet is not as good as the xi5 motorguide. The ultrex was supposed to be 1-2 ft
    Until the xi5 goes into a death spin... If 3 feet isn't good enough for you in a 20 mph wind and big waves you are a hell of a better offshore fisherman than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Until the xi5 goes into a death spin... If 3 feet isn't good enough for you in a 20 mph wind and big waves you are a hell of a better offshore fisherman than I am!

Death spin ? Never had a problem with mine
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

My understanding after talking to MK is that despite looking like GPS puck the heading sensor has no impact on spot lock accuracy or the other GPS functions. On the base I pilot it is only used for the jog function so the head knows which direction the boat is facing. I talked to MK a couple of times about it because I originally thought it was a GPS antenna when I got my Ultrex.

On on the link versions it is used for jog and the circle way point function.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    My understanding after talking to MK is that despite looking like GPS puck the heading sensor has no impact on spot lock accuracy or the other GPS functions. On the base I pilot it is only used for the jog function so the head knows which direction the boat is facing. I talked to MK a couple of times about it because I originally thought it was a GPS antenna when I got my Ultrex.

On on the link versions it is used for jog and the circle way point function.

So they told you there is no more accuracy in this new spot lock than last year's spot lock ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    So they told you there is no more accuracy in this new spot lock than last year's spot lock ?
    No, spot lock on the Ultrex is more accurate than what MK had in the past.

The heading sensor that comes with the Ultrex has nothing to do with spot lock, way points, tracks, etc. It simply tells the gps in the head of the motor how the keel of boat is oriented so if you want to jog to the left the motor knows how many degrees to turn to go left. If the head is pointed right is has to rotate more than 90 degrees to go left. If the head is pointed a little left already it turns less than less than 90 degrees.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Off shore fishing is all we do here. 3 feet ain't tough until you retie or catch a fish obviously. Was just hoping for better based on what was advertised. Still interested in trying one out if they introduce a non us2 model

I ordered my new boat with an Ultrex after watching BP and Matt Herron "anchored" 20' apart on an offshore Mille Lacs reef in 20 mph winds and big waves. They stood in the middle of the boat(no more riding the bow up and down) and never touched the trolling motor. The two boats never even came close to colliding in extreme conditions. All they did was fish!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    3 feet is not as good as the xi5 motorguide. The ultrex was supposed to be 1-2 ft
    I think you're just a MK hater lol
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Banned
    i run a minn kota lol just bought into the hype i guess.

GREAT review! You mentioned you had a padded front deck and need to wait for the stabilizer to create a divot in the pad. T-H Marine makes a nifty little thing called a Bounce Buster that screws into the padded deck. I've got one and it works great. Look at T-H Marine's website.

11. Member
    When you receive your unit, the motor-shaft assembly will be detached from the mounting arm. If you wish to deploy/open the mounting arm before attaching the motor-shaft assembly there is a safety lock on the mount that must be released. I have attached an image in another thread, located in the electrical/wiring/trolling motor forum, entitled Ultrex Mount Deployment Lock.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123