Gel coat blisters

I have been doing research on boats and stumbled across this issue today. Didn't know such a thing existed. My last boat was a Ranger 1999 519 DVS. Never had the problem but read that a change in Gel coats in 2004 it has been a problem.

Are all brands equally vulnerable to this problem? Do any waxes or other solutions midigate the problem?

Some of the mfrs started using a cheaper resin and some blisters, some stress crack. They learned to blame it on the epa instead of the beancounters. Some mfrs never had issues, some had issues on certain years.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Some of the mfrs started using a cheaper resin and some blisters, some stress crack. They learned to blame it on the epa instead of the beancounters. Some mfrs never had issues, some had issues on certain years.
    Believe it or not, it was really the EPA. The fumes from the old style gel were ruled to be too polluting and a hazard to worker health. So, they were banned. Manufacturers went to the best available alternative at the time that could pass EPA muster. Unfortunately, it was too porous and gel blisters were a result on some boats made by most manufacturers.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Believe it or not, it was really the EPA. The fumes from the old style gel were ruled to be too polluting and a hazard to worker health. So, they were banned. Manufacturers went to the best available alternative at the time that could pass EPA muster. Unfortunately, it was too porous and gel blisters were a result on some boats made by most manufacturers.
    Right on Jeff

5. Member
    So is this still an issue with boats made in 2017? I'm looking at Bass Cat and Ranger mostly.

6. Member
    I understand there is a barrier coat being applied now to lessen the possibilities of developing blisters.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtibbals View Post
    So is this still an issue with boats made in 2017? I'm looking at Bass Cat and Ranger mostly.
    Research this topic thoroughly....you wont like what you find

8. Member
    If true a barrier coat...over washing or normal wear from bunks on the trailer you'll have these issues
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    My 2004 Triton had them bad under the trailer bunks. I tried getting them fixed via warranty no luck. Then I tried insurance no dice, the adjuster said it was poor construction/gel coat mixture. I ended up trading the boat in.

10. Banned
    OP, during your journey on this topic look at Gatorbak threads. Those seem to be a help (according to the people selling them)

11. Member
    All boats will get them no matter what if left to the cause. Gatorbaks are your resolution.

12. Member
    So do any waxes etc help? If so how would you wax the areas that are most affected?

Buying a brand made with a top quality vynylester resin like the AME brand will solve the blister problem

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I live close to the lake I fish the most (2 miles to the ramp) so my bunks stay wet all the time from fishing a couple times a week. When I replaced my carpet I went with Gatorbak's just as a better safe than sorry thing.

15. Member
    For a newbie to this carpeted bunks tend to increase the likely hood of blisters?

16. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    They hold water against your hull