Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phoenix sales numbers??

Not sure if this chart is true actual sales numbers or just BS. According to it, Phoenix doubled the sales of BCB last year.
    I find that hard to imagine from a company that has been in business for 10yrs. If it is factual, That's some serious growth!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=773088

2. Member
    They didn't double sales in one year.

We don't know what data source those numbers came from, though we are connected to the actual data recipient from all reporting state registrations. Some use SSD, and there are other studies and the date is gleaned from one source.

Those numbers are a representation of theirs, with some lesser growth represented and other inaccuracies. The numbers show growth and loss in the same areas, though the percentages are different. One smaller competitor showed less registrations each of the last 3 quarterly reports and this reflects a lesser drop compared to the last 12 months back data.

Bass Cat, Phoenix and Triton showed double digit gains. Triton also has a major hull replacement program in effect. The numbers reflect where Legend, Charger, Bullet and others are to some degree.

The report does not reflect that all fiberglass center console and fiberglass walleye boats built by those companies are also included in this data, based on the HIN identifier. Triton, Ranger, Skeeter and Stratos all build boats in one or both Markets and those numbers are large for Ranger and Skeeter. For us we have a separate HIN on Yar-Craft which appears on its own line item and we have built about 55 to 75 of those annually since establishing the Brand in Arkansas after I bought it. The bass boat market is a small market and marine itself is not huge when comparing it to some corporate structures.

Before the Correct Craft transition it was choice for Bass Cat to be small by design. The long term history has proven that the method was the what allowed the company to survive economic downturns when others all failed when they grew. Bass Cat is the only competitor in size, which depended on bass boats, to survive all economic challenges going back to 1971 and the Arab Embargo, oil spike. That survival was because the overheads were restricted.

Only in the last 15 months has Bass Cat been focused on competing for a higher percentage of market share. The same holds true for Yar-Craft. Under the dealer financing structure we had prior to Correct Craft our limited floor plan restricted us and we only had 10% of annual sales in stock on our dealerships floor. That number is now 15% of our annual sales and rising which will be represented in higher sales by dealers in coming months.

We are growing! Had this remained only a family company we were not going to risk the effects of a recession on our survival. The success ratio of those which did that is ZERO. I would not ever have risked the company heritage, consumer security and families employed here by over expanding to singly build more product and be larger. We don't really know the support base of financing that has allowed the expansion Phoenix has experienced, though we do know it is not self sustaining. The fact that no one has survived other than Bass Cat when dependent on bass boats, is a clear data point in itself. We did not want to become a statistic and you as consumers don't want us to.

The list of major brands failed, along with brands formed on the "cheap" from those failed companies molds, is a lot larger than the one (1) that survived. Having always built its own molds and being dependent, owning our own buildings and restricting our growth for survival wa sour MO. Even in the 1990 - 1991 recession when we were building more boats than we do now with a very hot product. Staying smaller was staying alive.

In late March of 2015 we melded with Correct Craft, as a stand alone company under their umbrella. And we set a goal to expand for many reasons. They have significant financial support and a historical culture that proved it would support the companies in a downturn rather than bail. Also the resources to not be risking future needed capital on expansion while funding that Growth, should a downturn hit before the piggy bank is replenished.

Our numbers are increasing, our quality is hitting a higher level, long term staff has embraced the plans and they all want what the new frontier which opportunity has brought them. They are driving newer staff and we have some great young people here pushing hard to do better also. Everything here seems to be hitting on all cylinders now. It will be interesting to look at the numbers you will see in 9 months on the next 3 or 4 reports a year from now.

My agreement with them has many years to run and I don't have to exit if I don't want to. I hope I live to see where the plans we have set are going to take both Bass Cat and Yar-Craft. They are not overly aggressive, though very steady and very focused. We are going places and we are going them our way.

Has Phoenix grown, well sure, just like Delta, Pro-Craft, Hydra Sports, Stratos, Triton and others did once upon a time. There just wasn't a large online knowledge base and access to the data then. We always had the data and you did not.

Come back to this one in 12 months and we think you'll be impressed. And that extends to quality, customer service, tournament incentives, dealer growth and data numbers. Though data numbers are the lowest tier of our focus as we want the organic growth which each consumer gives us through their positive experience.

Have a great day!

Rick Pierce
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 01-11-2017 at 07:43 AM.

4. Member
    I love my 921 but this ^^^^^^ is why I will own a BC one day.

5. Member
    Nice post Rick Very informative, one of these days I hope to contribute to your growth
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

And that's just another reason you buy a Bass Cat! Thanks Rick.

7. Member
    Thanks for that post Rick. Very good info.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    Nice post Rick Very informative, one of these days I hope to contribute to your growth

9. Member
    This is why I came back to Basscat after straying with a couple of different boat brands.

10. Member
    Great response Rick!
    I like the attention to quality, and customer service that a small business model can give. Its also easier for management to keep the employees culture of Quality in check with smaller numbers.
    I personally am BCB for life. Nothing sexier than a BCB.
    I also figured that the numbers included all boat sales which even for Triton would be aluminum boat numbers, and the Hull replacement work.
    I know that Phoenix is Glass boats only. Which by any means is great growth on their part.

11. Member
    Aluminum is a different category, and subscription. No aluminum in those numbers.

12. Member
    Sure make you feel proud to own a cat. Thanks Rick

13. Member
    I will be getting my last boat soon and it will be a cat. Waiting on new releases to see what the Lynx is and the Classic is.

14. Member
    Great post. I bought a cat 2 years ago after looking at boats for a year. I decided BCB and have not had a single regret. Great boats, better customer service
    BCB for life!!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Aluminum is separated in a different report.

BCB

16. Member
    I doubt they doubled but then again it's new just like when Triton hit the scene everybody including me bought one, I was going to buy a cougar in 2003 and let a friend talk me out of it and into a Triton should have took my own advice.

17. Member
    Well spoken as always and the reason I run and will always own a BCB if I have a boat. I have had the pleasure to meet Mr. Pierce at the old Bassarama in Richmond during the good ole Pop's Maine Days years ago (before my BCB ownership days) and he is a very down to earth and a true sportsman. I don't fish large tournaments and I am not on the pro-staff by a long shot, but I have turned many people to give BCB a look and many have become proud owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Rick Pierce
    Any Plans to start making Aluminum boats
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Any Plans to start making Aluminum boats
    BCB has stated many times that they do not plan to build metal boats.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    BCB has stated many times that they do not plan to build metal boats.
    Dang...that's a shame.bet they would build a nice one...
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast