Stratos 21ss taking on water !! Help

I'm needing some help or if someone has maybe had a similar issue.i have a 21ss and recently our club tourney new season has started.ive noticed out of nowhere when running on plane I am taking on water.(alot too).i do not get any water at all when sitting or even idling,or just moving forward with the big motor.its only when get up on plane.i have inspected the under side of the hull and see no kind of cracks or any holes.i was also thinking maybe my rub rail was the issue and possibly back spray from jack plate an talon was being forced through the rub rail.so I took the back side loose,caulked and rescrewed it and sealed it.checked transom and checked
    motor bolts and all seems ok.took it back out thinking I fixed the issue and yet again while onmplane I take on water! Has anyone ever had this issue or may have seen this problem before an can point me in the right direction???

2. Member
    your speedometer tube isn't broken into or sprung a leak has it. unhook the tube at the motor and see if it stops

3. Member
    I owned a 2000 21 SS for about 8 years, ours had the same issue. If we just idled and never got on plane we would never have water in the bilge. But if we got up on plane and especially if we were taking a lot turns on plane we would get water in the bilge and it sometimes would cause the automatic pumps to come on. We did everything to figure it out, couldn't find anything, we just made the assumption it was coming from the livewells somehow. Good luck.

the thru hull plastic gizmos that tubing from live wells may be cracked from age ,or the old hoses them selves. get brittle .I replaced my hoses few yrs ago, and noticed some water, took hoses off and then seen the gizmos < cant recall name at moment brain fart.. was cracked where hose clamp over hose was.. haven fixed it yet, as outside part may mess up the outside hull stripping ?? and don't know if I can get it replaced w/o messing it up.. Till I get chance to find out ?? that may be your issue??

Last edited by Bass AHolic; 01-15-2017 at 12:24 PM.

5. Member
    If getting water while on plane I would look for gaps under the side rail where the top cap is joined to the hull. There should be a bead of caulk under the rail. Look closely around the stern area on the sides.

6. Member
    I had the same issue years back chances are speed tube as Paul David suggested.

Thx.............. PJ
    Hold-em tight and give-em lotsa slack !!!

7. Member
    I have a 2000 19ss extreme and had the same issue. My problem was the rubrail. I cleaned above and below it with degreaser and used 3m 4200 in black and sealed above and below. Looked neat and never took on anymore water.

8. Member
    Ok it may be very possible it's the rub rail,because the lake we were fishing has a very curvy channel and I m curious does other stratos 21ss lean really bad on sharp turns??mine leans so bad that the rub rail is right at the water line on sharp turns.as we was going out to the lake through the curvy channel I noticed others boats would not lean like mine! Is this just the way a 21ss hull design is that causes this? I also didn't have it trimmed up much due to how it will start porpoising on the turns if I'm not at wide open throttle!
    now that y'all say the rub rail can be the problem,and how much my boat leans in the curves it would make since that the water is being forced through the rub rail...

9. Member
    I've learned my SS was pretty much a all go hull design. If your running slow is going to porpoise or lean. The best fixes I've found to counter act it is more weight up front Wich slows the boats top speed. The best fix I found was adding a bman foil that was the best add I did to my SS. Eliminated my porpoising and increased my hole shot.

10. Member
    So did your ss get up on its side when on sharp turn? Like a 45 degree angle.is this normal for the ss hull??i just didn't see any of the boats ahead of me on the sharp turns lean like mine on the turns

11. Member
    Two questions at what speed were you turning. And which way. Turing left in the 30-40 mph range was pretty sketchy. Above that the boat flattens up nicely.

12. Member
    I was turning left and right running a channel out to lake! I was running about 35 and wasn't trimmed up at all.it was definitely banking real high on the sharp turns

13. Member
    At that speed the boat is pretty tippy like you were saying. If you asked up she'll turn flat on the water. Like I said that boat is designed to run above 40.

14. Member
    Yep mine was speedo tube also
    Outlaw Bass