Noco charger question

I was thinking of buying a 4 bank noco genius charger. Can I hook it to one agm battery and 3 wet cell battery's without causing any harm or should get a three bank and a single. Thanks

Not a problem, it auto-detects each type of battery separately.

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    Be aware that the Noco will not charge all AGM's properly
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

It is not on the approved charger list for Odyssey batteries aka Sears PM1. It matters. I had to change out mine to a MK 330PC.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Charges my three wet cells, plus an AGM, and a spiral cell, without a hitch, and I check them with a volt meter regularly, all stay charged between runs

7. Member
    Noco Gen 4 charges all 4 of my Optima Blue top AGM group 31 with no issues.

8. Member
    I called northstar and they said that the noco chargers are capable of charging their agm's batteries as long as 10amps or more.

9. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Chavis,

Nocos per their tech support staff do not have the ability to detect the battey type. The chargers apply the same charging algorithm to all batteries.

The chargers do not have the ability to provide a sustained constant DC voltage such as larger more expensive chargers...the Nocos instead rely on high frequency pulse charging. Pulse charging may be damaging to some electronic circuits if they are left connected to a battery under charge.

The Nocos claim, and in most cases have, the capability to successfully charge and maintain both flooded and AGM battery types. However they have within their charging profile the capability to apply an unusual sustained high charging voltage (15.7 V) to a battery.

If the battery is an AGM it could result in the normally sealed battery venting with loss of electrolyte and permanent damage. Noco chargers, if used to attempt to charge Odyssey AGMs are not approved and could be considered misuse and reason for the manufacturer's denial of battery warranty.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-27-2017 at 07:58 PM.

So does all this mean I should return my brand new unopened NOCO (3bank) because it will not safely charge my brand new Duracell AGM's and 1 year old Optima blue top?
    MAKING DONATIONS TO GREAT FISHERMAN EVERY WEEKEND
    2005 CHAMPION 188 ELITE

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hopin to cash View Post
    So does all this mean I should return my brand new unopened NOCO (3bank) because it will not safely charge my brand new Duracell AGM's and 1 year old Optima blue top?
    I use the Noco Gen 4 for all 4 of my Optima Blue top AGM D31M with no problems.
    Noco Gen 4 charges at 14.4 volts per the specs. The Noco Gen 3 does the same 14.4 volts.
    Last edited by jamesdambro; 01-28-2017 at 07:50 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Chavis,

The Nocos claim, and in most cases have, the capability to successfully charge and maintain both flooded and AGM battery types. However they have within their charging profile the capability to apply an unusual sustained high charging voltage (15.7 V) to a battery.

Per the Specs on the website the Noco GEn 3 and Gen 4 has a charging volt of 14.4

13. Member
    Per the Specs on the website the Noco GEn 3 and Gen 4 has a charging volt of 14.4
    The Noco website is referring to the normal charging voltage as 14.4 volts which is reached during the absorption step and continues to be applied during the constant voltage step.

The Noco chargers such as the Genius series use an 8-step charging process. At the conclusion of that absorption stage and a following constant voltage period, charging ceases while the charger analyzes the battery. It then normally enters 'Float' lowering the applied voltage or it can begin to apply a continuous voltage which is applied at 15.7 Volts. (confirmed with Noco tech support)

The high voltage is meant to attempt to recondition only an aging battery, but may also be falsely triggered by a forgotten circuit load left connected during charging.

This 15.7 Volt stage directly violates the Odyssey AGM's charging limitations preventing the Noco chargers from being approved chargers.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-28-2017 at 12:13 PM.

14. Member
    Many users report successfully using Nocos on Duracell AGMs and Optimas.

If you choose to keep the charger, be sure to carefully always use a battery disconnect to prevent any loading of the battery during its analysis checks. Toward the end of life of your batteries, the Noco at one point may sense their age and attempt to recondition them.

For flooded batteries the high voltages may well successfully extend their useful life by reducing plate sulfate deposits. But for AGMs, it may cause venting and loss of electrolyte and quickly reduce any remaining battery life.

If you prefer Noco brand chargers and can delay purchase a charger replacement, future generations of Nocos may address any present AGM compatibility concerns.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-28-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Appreciate the information Lou... your description of a battery disconnect? If I have a main power switch at dash to all lights, electronic and accessories does that suffice the need?
    MAKING DONATIONS TO GREAT FISHERMAN EVERY WEEKEND
    2005 CHAMPION 188 ELITE

16. Member
    Yes, if 1) indeed it is a main electrical power "switch" for the console and 2) you never power up the engine (Key ON) or adjust its' tilt/trim during battery charging.

Some consoles are electronic and have 'keypad' power buttons...the power button may only place the console in SLEEP mode and able to be awakened such as by water in the bilge tripping a float sensor. They often have a switchable breaker in the bilge on their power input that may be used to isolate their electronics from charging voltages.

I prefer using a full battery disconnect during times of any charging. Perko and Blue Sea Systems are two popular manufacturers of battery disconnects.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-28-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Lou I have to ask, have you owned and used a NOCO that damaged your AGM? I am going on two years of direct plug in to my charger, and continual charging, per NOCO's directions without a hitch. Now out there in the cold I might have a problem, but so far all have been charged properly

18. Member
    No surprises that you have had no hitches with use of the the Noco charger. As mentioned, most owners do report good results. If the Noco activates its higher potentially AGM damaging voltage stage, for most, the battery was approaching its' normal end of life and so they blamed the battery and not the charger for any resultant battery failure.

I have not personally experienced damage to my AGMs from a Noco charger as I use AGMs which prohibit the Nocos from being used.

For other users, seems best to always use a battery disconnect to the console/any electronics and stay off the motor's trim button during charging espciallly when the charger is evaluating the ability of the battery to hold its just charged voltage.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-30-2017 at 01:08 PM.