Thread: New Eyra

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Angry New Eyra

Just got new bass cat Erya 250 pro xs Thursday got her broke in speed numbers
    not what I expected 75 mph with 25 p fury at 5900 rpm
    went to 26 p fury 76 mph 5850 rpm tried all differ heights with atlas jack plate
    any one got any suggestions? Thought these things was supposed to be fast
    these numbers are full of fuel no tackle ?

2. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Make sure the hot foot is opening the throttle all the way.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

My best was 81mph @ 6226rpm's full fuel, loaded to fish solo. 2013 BCB Eyra 250 Pro XS gen2 lower unit, Atlas JP, 26 Fury.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

4. Member
    There are occasions where the motor takes a bit to wake up even after break in. Possible dud prop as the fury props are known to be pretty erratic out of the box. That's where I would start. Keep us posted....

5. Member
    After rereading your original post, are you sure your break in is complete????

I haven't had that issue with the Fury props. And ive have quite a few of them.

What is your prop to pad? What are the conditions u are running in such as air temps. humidity and water temps? DA if you possibly know it? Elevation? How is the boat loaded?
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Make sure the hot foot is opening the throttle all the way.
    Off topic a bit but what speeds are u seeing with your Cougar FTD with that SHO???
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

8. Member
    Sounds like the throttle may be just short of the wide open position. Its usually associated with the stop on the hotfoot needing adjusting. You should definitely be getting more speed being the boat is empty of tackle. I'm referring to speed with 26 fury.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

There may or may not be something off on the rig between propeller and setup. That could be throttle as pointed out. Engine height and more must be looked at, and it could be your driving style. And the engine or hull may be an issue also, non of this is know now. Let your dealership take a look at it and see what they find.

Then last, BCB is cautious to not guarantee X performance as it may not be met with all rigs. Not all trucks get the same fuel mileage and pull the same.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There may or may not be something off on the rig between propeller and setup. That could be throttle as pointed out. Engine height and more must be looked at, and it could be your driving style. And the engine or hull may be an issue also, non of this is know now. Let your dealership take a look at it and see what they find.

Then last, BCB is cautious to not guarantee X performance as it may not be met with all rigs. Not all trucks get the same fuel mileage and pull the same.
    Going to check throttle later today engine height is not the problem tried all heights
    And three different props like it runs out of power at 75 climbs good till then lots of midrange
    seems like it wants to go faster just stood at 75?

11. Member
    Not all engines run the same out of the factory either...When I was racing motocross we would see some differences on the dynos even when engines had the exact same mods and specs.....Sometimes as much as 10 percent..And that was only one cylinder and carb....
    I agree with looking at your basic settings though...My Puma has hit 80 GPS but there are some days I can't get more than 75 out of it...Could be alot of factors but I don't lose any sleep over it...It's probably the Air, my driving, the way the boat is loaded or the way the water is setting up...I'm not a big speed guy so it isnt worth the stress to me..As long as my RPMS are good and the boat is handling safely I just go fishing..
    Don't you have to have a laptop setup to check to see if the throttle is hitting the stops on the motor??
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 09-12-2016 at 07:30 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    Off topic a bit but what speeds are u seeing with your Cougar FTD with that SHO???
    I would like to hear the cougar numbers also

13. Member
    If this is your first Cat, it is possibly a combination of driving style and motor height. I agree that the throttle position should be checked first, being that it's a new rig, but as mentioned in an earlier comment, it takes some motors longer to wake up. I read somewhere that the rule of thumb for these newer to reach max HP is around 30 hours. Considering what it takes in a matter of physics to push a 2500-2700 lb boat (loaded) close to or over 80 mph, the variables involved have such a large effect on the result.
    As for driving style; I currently own my first Cat, an Eyra also, and coming from a Triton, early on I was not driving it properly, and I was moving the plate too much, searching for the loose feeling I had in the Triton when it was running at its best. I have a slidemaster plate, and after moving it back down to <1/4" above flush, and made smaller trim adjustments, I not only got better numbers, but without airing the nose out too much.
    2015 Phoenix 819

14. Member
    I believe that all Pro XS engines run a 'mild tune' during the break-in process. Extra oil/lower rev limit etc... Get atleast 10 hrs on her before you push her that hard. Jack plate and trim angle are critical. I had my P2 at 76mph this weekend with a 25 Fury on a 200 Pro XS at 5850rpm. A 250 should turn approx. 300rpm more than a 200. You should see 78-81mph.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb &amp; CLE l/u motor (A913415)

15. Member
    Also, The Eyra will not get that loose feeling. It will have a controlled connected feeling at all times.
    A BIG no no is over trimming. The BCB's do not run like other boat manufacturers. Too much trim will slow it down.
    Bump the trim slowly till you feel it climb on the pad, than bump it till you get slight left torque in the steering.
    That's your happy place. Up and down Jack plate adjustments should be no more than 1/4 increments.
    Keep us all updated on your progress.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

There is a point where you can over trim. I learned that on my own boat (16 Cougar FTD). I will actually start to lose speed at a certain point. My motor has 50 hours on it now and the motor really started to open up and get more power around 20-25 hours. But my boat has always run between 78-82 depending on load and time of year.

17. Member
    Figured the trim out early on I come from a blazer 625 where you trim it high and let it fly
    the Erya is totally different from that it's seens like it runs out of power at 75 prop change to differ
    pitch did not seen to matter either

I'd try to get hold of a known good prop to run first. You are getting the rpm's so there is a fair amount of slip in your set up.

19. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Could be just a weak motor too....

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Could be just a weak motor too....
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast