Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    87 burns faster/ complete. 91 isn't all being burned, the stroke isn't enough... Pollution/carbonizing

ping, knock, detonation doesn't happen in a two stroke, unless your gas is old or your hopped up.
    that is the first I have heard that 2 strokes don't detonate. Why did I ever worry about any of my outboards, Mercs and Yammies, and my Arctic Cats and Polaris blowing a jug when I could have just ran 87 half water slush and ethanol octane. Hey, I am sure everything will run better when the tree hugging halfwit at the Endangerment Proposal Agency -EPA push thru 15% poison.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    that is the first I have heard that 2 strokes don't detonate. Why did I ever worry about any of my outboards, Mercs and Yammies, and my Arctic Cats and Polaris blowing a jug when I could have just ran 87 half water slush and ethanol octane. Hey, I am sure everything will run better when the tree hugging halfwit at the Endangerment Proposal Agency -EPA push thru 15% poison.
    no we don't need ethanol in our fuel but the compression isn't enough to detonate to early before tdc if you have excess heat running your sled down the road the heat will contribute to detonation a stock well maintained motor is fine and will benefit from unleashing all of its thermal energy into to power stroke, rather than in the exhaust.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    no we don't need ethanol in our fuel but the compression isn't enough to detonate to early before tdc if you have excess heat running your sled down the road the heat will contribute to detonation a stock well maintained motor is fine and will benefit from unleashing all of its thermal energy into to power stroke, rather than in the exhaust.
    My motor runs 118-120 compression and does have the knock sensor which suppose to retard timing. But, supposedly my ECU is programmed to running at a higher advance and retard when sensor feels a knock condition. Octane rating is RON (Research octane number)+MON (Motor octane number)/2, which in itself is prone to error, further, 91 is the lowest grade ethanol free I can buy with Fast Trac the only supplier. Putting all things into context, I little extra in the side of caution is fine for me.

4. Member
    This is an interesting topic. I have run nothing but ethanol free 91 in my boat to avoid ethanol issues. First I heard the ethanol gas may be better due to current engine manufacturing to accomodate ethanol. Now you have me wondering. Interesting the 2 marinas on local lakes only sell ethanol free.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    This is an interesting topic. I have run nothing but ethanol free 91 in my boat to avoid ethanol issues. First I heard the ethanol gas may be better due to current engine manufacturing to accomodate ethanol. Now you have me wondering. Interesting the 2 marinas on local lakes only sell ethanol free.
    Bassm1n,
    I suppose you need to start by what you currently own. That said, if you have a newer rig where everything on it was compensated to run ethanol poisoned fuel, technically, you should not have any problems other than keeping up on your filters. However, if you made the wise decision of buying a house instead of a new rig for about the same sum of $$$, and you are running an older rig that is when you need to make VERY sure that all lines and anything that will contain the fuel is brought up to specs in being able to tolerate the damaging issues of ethanol poisoned fuel. Most marinas, since their fuel will not turn over as fast as car fueling station, or may not have had their tank changed over to support ethanol, make the smart decision to sell ethanol free.
    BTW, I would like to apologized to original posting member for this conversation getting way off intended topic.

6. Member
    Hey digthemup where did you find a 3.0 L mercury that runs 118-120 lbs compression. You also have the same motor I do and mine is tuned for 87 octane

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Hey digthemup where did you find a 3.0 L mercury that runs 118-120 lbs compression. You also have the same motor I do and mine is tuned for 87 octane
    Well, it is hanging in the back of my '02 Cobra 201DC though the motor is an '03, and the compression test was done by Don Weed's instructions. I am glad that your motor is "tuned" for 87 octane, and I would not have a problem running that if I could find it WITHOUT ethanol. BTW, I believe that Don has that procedure somewhere in this forum if you like to give it a go , and if you like to have your ECM "tuned" to your perimeter, Simon Motorsports will do it for 600$

8. Member
    That's not what I mean they only came with 110 lbs. stock. Why have mine tuned it runs better than most.

I have no evidence to clarify that 87 with ethanol is better than 91 without ethanol. I do know that Don says he has seen the difference throughout his career. I will take his word for it and run 87 with ethanol. I also run his full cocktail in every tank.

Believe what you want but if it blows, don't blame us or Mercury!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have no evidence to clarify that 87 with ethanol is better than 91 without ethanol. I do know that Don says he has seen the difference throughout his career. I will take his word for it and run 87 with ethanol. I also run his full cocktail in every tank.

Believe what you want but if it blows, don't blame us or Mercury!
    Since your boat is a 2010, you don"t need to worry, and won't get the "evidence" that I and others with older rigs found out when tank and lines to fuel pump had to be replaced due to the lining disintegrating from ethanol clogging up filter, injector, etc.
    Whether the motor blows up or not, unlike today's modality, I would not blame any one, especially Don Weed, who is been an excellent adviser to me and this board.
    Regardless of what go wrong in my life, I always start with the man in the mirror.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    That's not what I mean they only came with 110 lbs. stock. Why have mine tuned it runs better than most.
    Well, all I can tell you is that I started with a fully charged battery, motor hot, all plugs out, installed my Snap-on compression gauge,kill switch on, cranked motor for several seconds, and recorded reading. Remember the remainder to your equation, better than most, but not as good as some.
    If you have done work to your motor, like reed and hand lapped the cage so they work their best, injectors, changed TPS setting, removed all the foam and improved air intake, and other minor things, it is good to have PCU "tuned" to improve certain perimeters. BTW, I am in no way suggesting that you should or should not do any thing.

12. Member
    His boat is old enough to have bad fuel lines and I think he may have replaced his already.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Since your boat is a 2010, you don"t need to worry, and won't get the "evidence" that I and others with older rigs found out when tank and lines to fuel pump had to be replaced due to the lining disintegrating from ethanol clogging up filter, injector, etc.
    Whether the motor blows up or not, unlike today's modality, I would not blame any one, especially Don Weed, who is been an excellent adviser to me and this board.
    Regardless of what go wrong in my life, I always start with the man in the mirror.
    I have had to deal with deteriorated lines a few months ago and replaced them all. Two other boats I've owned had to do the same thing. In each case, there was no other damage or effects since they were replaced before it got too bad. While I'd rather not have ethanol in my gas, dealing with it is not a terrible ordeal either.

The evidence I am talking about is carboned up motors when taken apart for rebuilding.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have had to deal with deteriorated lines a few months ago and replaced them all. Two other boats I've owned had to do the same thing. In each case, there was no other damage or effects since they were replaced before it got too bad. While I'd rather not have ethanol in my gas, dealing with it is not a terrible ordeal either.

The evidence I am talking about is carboned up motors when taken apart for rebuilding.
    I suppose it would be not a terrible deal if you are in your shop when the crapped up fuel lines causes your engine to die out or drop to 1500rpm. But, if you find yourself in the way of a 400'+ Great Lakes laker in the St Lawrence River, or the multitude of granite shoals there, you may have a different opinion of it not being too terrible to deal with.

15. Member
    The fuel line issue has been a topic on here for seven years and it's one of the sticky posts on the mercury 3.0 L board. It's one of the first things I ask most people if they say they have lost speed or rpm's at WOT. Most change them and everything else listed in the post and don't have any more problems. Ethanol is a problem but it's a treatable problem.

16. Member
    Ethanol is a problem but it's a treatable problem.[/QUOTE]
    Well, reckon it could be comparable to hemorrhoids or E.D.

17. Member
    If those are your rpms u shouldn't spin a 25. I have same motor on a heavy 20 ft fish an ski and I get better speeds than that with a 23 tempest.

Run 87 . As for detonation .Optimax is direct injected. Fuel can't pre ignite as it doesn't get inhaled on intake stroke. Fuel is sprayed directly on piston and ignited by spark
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

I have the same boat as you, yr, eng, prop, I run 65 all day long, best GPS 68 with little chop, I know that my tach is not very accurate likes to bounce around sometimes, my prop is OG with no work done on it, run boat with full tournament load, very heavy tackle load, and full tanks, and 1 pp, 4 batt. I called Ranger plant and talk to the engine guy, because like you I wanted more speed, the gentleman told me that I was doing good with my #'s and no jackplate, if you go on the Ranger fourms Ghost Comanche can help you out, also the other Ranger guys with same boat, good luck

19. Banned
    Old thread but same boat with fresh injector service and a bent prop shaft lol. 2001 520DVX with 225 optimax and 10" Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate.
    Was getting 70 at max rpm with 25 tempest but very squirrely.
    Tried a 25 Trophy Plus with exhaust ring and Large PVS plugs in all ports. Holeshot was decent felt like a Tempest but could be altered with PVS Plugs.
    With Jack-Plate at 3.5inches on the plate and trim not quite full out 5750rpms 70.2mph

This thread needs to be killed, to much bad information here
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12